Man burned by chemicals

A man received burns during a chemical incident in Oxford.

Live updates

Warning after chemical incident

During the chemical incident in Oxford the firefighters were decontaminated and subsequent crews were sent in wearing in breathing apparatus to contain and remove the mixture before it was disposed of safely.

Oxfordshire fire and rescue service said the incident serves as a timely reminder that all packaging on household products should be read before they are used.

It added that no mixing of chemicals, particularly bleaches and “un-blockers”, should ever take place as potentially toxic and corrosive mixtures can be created.

Man burned in chemical incident

A man received burns during a chemical incident in Oxford.

Fire crews were called to Ivy Flats accommodation block in Oxford yesterday afternoon.

When they arrived they were told that a maintenance worker had received burns and had experienced breathing problems.

This had happened after he had poured a mixture of chemicals down the sink, in the aim of unblocking it.

However he was unaware that the previous evening that another resident had also poured chemicals down the sink and the mixture was now dangerous.

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus and gas tight suits entered the flat and were able to identify the three household substances that had been put into the sink.

By combining these three regular products a small quantity of chlorine gas had been created.


Back to top