Live updates

Pedestrian fighting for life after ambulance crash

A pedestrian is fighting for his life in hospital after he suffered a serious head injury and broke both his legs when he was hit by an ambulance. The emergency vehicle was on its way to a 999 call when it ploughed into the 50-year-old man.

The victim was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford in another ambulance following the crash on Charlton Street, in Wantage, Oxon., yesterday.

A spokesman for South Central Ambulance Service said the two ambulance crew men were uninjured and there was no patient in the vehicle.

"I saw the ambulance go past on the recovery truck. There was a massive dent on it. It looked like it ran into a lamppost. My colleague, Richard, and I had to help divert traffic because it was just chaos. There were cars coming up the road and having to turn around in people's driveways. It was mayhem."

– Dane Sheridan, eyewitness

Ambulance crash leaves elderly woman seriously hurt

An elderly woman driver has suffered potentially serious injuries after her car collided with an ambulance in Lancing. The ambulance was on blue lights transporting a patient to hospital when the crash happened at the junction of Western Road with the A259 Brighton Road. The crew and patient were unhurt.

Police are currently at the scene and have closed Western Road southbound and the eastbound carriageway of Brighton Road from Seamill Park Avenue, Lancing. Motorists are advised to avoid the area for the time being.


Ambulance crash: Tribute to victim

South Central Ambulance has issued a new statement after a crew member was killed in a crash in the New Forest.

The statement said: "The deceased crew member was a highly valued and respected member of our staff.

"South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust would like to pay tribute to them and are currently liaising with their family to this end.

"Our overriding concern at this time is for the wishes of the deceased crew member's family and the wishes of the family of the deceased patient."

Motorcyclist dies after collision with ambulance

Surrey Police have confirmed that a motorcyclist involved in a collision with an ambulance on the A3 this morning has died.

It is the second fatality on the road following an earlier incident in which a man who jumped from a bridge on Clayton Road, Long Ditton over the A3 died.

Police are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding these tragic events and are appealing for any witnesses to these incidents. Surrey Police is advising motorists to avoid the area at this time.