Live updates

Rescuers use net to free deer who locked antlers

Rescuers used a special net to rescue the animals Credit: East Sussex WRAS

Volunteers from the East Sussex Wildlife and Rescue Ambulance have freed two deer whose antlers become stuck together during what is believed to have been a fight.

The rescuers think that a piece of rope on one of the deer's antlers somehow became entangled with the other animal's horns - locking the two together. The team used a special 'walk-towards' net to gain control of the deer, then cut the animals free from the rope and each other.

Untying the animals from the rope once they were put in the net took ten minutes. The deer were then released and both ran off. The incident happened at Dallington near Robertsbridge in East Sussex.

The deer were seen fighting in Dallington near Hailsham


New animal rescue vehicle for Hampshire

Hampshire Fire and Rescue have a new animal rescue vehicle,seeing as the first one has been such a success.

The new appliance will be based at Basingstoke Fire station and will be used to deal with large animal rescue operations in the north of the county.

The first animal rescue truck is based in the New Forest at Lyndhurst Fire station.

Jim Green, Hampshire's Animal Rescue Manager said, "We deal with around one large trapped animal each week, along with other regular incidents where the involvement of animal places the public and rescuers at risk."

The vehicle contains specialist equipment to deal with incidents such as horses trapped in cattle grids, cows in slurry to livestock transporters involved in traffic collisions.

The new animal rescue vehicles Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue


JCB used to rescue dog

A dog has been reunited with its owner in Buckinghamshire after getting stuck in a drain for five days.

Gina Kaiser brought in a JCB to rescue her pet pooch after the terrier became trapped in a drainage pipe. Lulu disappeared down the unused pipe while she was out for a walk in Dorney.

Rubble blocked her exit and she was trapped, surviving on just a trickle of water for nearly a week. Eventually, Gina was so desperate to be reunited with her pet that she hired a JCB to cut Lulu free. Luckily, a fire service rescue team were passing and stepped in to help.

They used cutting equipment, the digger and shovels to dig down 8ft and six hours later Lulu was reunited with her owner.

Rescue group guilty of gull neglect

Gulls were kept in overcrowded conditions Credit: RSPCA

Members of a gull rescue group have been found guilty of neglect and causing suffering to 47 gulls kept in overcrowded conditions and untreated for injuries. Tim McKenzie, 55, of Vicarage Road, Hastings and Jean Tyler, 66, of Pebsham Lane, Bexhill-on-Sea, were banned from keeping birds for 10 years.

Magistrates at Hastings also ordered them to pay costs of £2,000. The RSPCA received complaints about the welfare of the gulls which were being kept by the 'National Gull Rescue and Protection group' in a back garden in Bexhill. Vets concluded that the birds had been suffering for up to 2 months.

RSPCA inspector Tony Pritchard said: “The defendants believed that they were rehabilitating the gulls and that they would all have recovered had they kept them.

“The vet evidence did not support this version of events and many birds were clearly left to suffer."

Many of the birds had been suffering for up to two months Credit: RSPCA
Load more updates