Live updates

Robber threatens newsagent staff with hammer

A robber armed with a claw hammer has threatened staff at a newsagents in Crawley.

The man, who was wearing a mask, forced staff at Martin's on Dorsten Square to hand over cash from a safe.

It happened shortly after 3pm on Sunday, as the 51 year old staff member was locking up.

The suspect fled in the direction of Bewbush Drive and Byrd Road.

He is described as in his early 30's, 5'11 tall and about 14 to 15 stone with an Irish or Scottish accent.

He was wearing a dark blue or black long sleeved top, black trousers and glasses.

He was wearing a balaclava or mask over his face and was wearing latex gloves.

Anyone who may have noticed anything suspicious or who has other relevant information is asked to email, report details online or phone 101, quoting serial 965 of 09/07.

Alternatively they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via its website here.

Life sentence for robbers for a series of violent raids

Two men have been jailed for life for a series of violent armed robberies including in Kent, Essex and Sussex.

Nicholas Wordsworth and Mustafa Murteza, both from London, carried out seven attacks on cash-in transit vans.

Nicholas Wordsworth jailed for life Credit: Metropolitan Police

In February last year they threatened a security guard with a sawn-off shot-gun and made off with a cash box outside the NatWest bank in Eastbourne.

Mustafa Murteza jailed for life Credit: Metropolitan Police
Shotgun used in armed raid Credit: Essex Police

These sentences mean that two extremely violent and dangerous criminals are now behind bars for a considerable time. These were well-planned, violent armed robberies during which both Wordsworth and Murteza terrorised security guards, as well as members of the public going about their daily business, and left them fearing for their lives. In my view, it was only through luck and good fortune that nobody was seriously injured or worse. This has been a lengthy and complex investigation spanning the south-east of England. It was only through the meticulous work of officers from the Flying Squad supported by colleagues from the Met's Specialist Firearms Command, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, TVP and Sussex police forces which ensured these individuals are no longer free to continue committing these violent offences.

– Detective Inspector Mark Bedford


Shop staff threatened with crowbars during robbery

Two workers at a shop in Wool in Dorset have been threatened with crowbars during an armed robbery.

It happened at around 8pm last night at the Spar Shop on High Street.

It was reported that three offenders entered the store via the rear door and threatened two members of staff with crowbars. They took a quantity of cash before making off. The victims were not injured in the incident.

The offenders were wearing dark clothing and had their faces covered.

"This was a terrifying ordeal for the two members of staff who were in the shop at the time and I am appealing to anyone who witnessed the incident or saw three men acting suspiciously in the area at the time of the incident to contact me."

– Detective Sergeant Nicky Jenkins, of Weymouth CID

Cafe worker describes terrifying moment he was held at gunpoint

A cafe worker has been telling of the terrifying moment he was threatened by a man with a gun.

Police in Sussex say it's one of a spate of robberies in the Worthing and Lancing area - most at gunpoint - which they think are linked.

Two took place in Orme Rd. One in George 5th Avenue - And another in Seadown Parade in Sompting.

The 5th was in Rowlands Rd, and a 6th in Railway Approach. A further attack happened on The Broadway - with another on Heene Rd.

The final two were at North Rd - and Uncle Sam's in Crabtree Lane - where the cafe worker feared for his life. Charlotte Wilkins has been speaking to Grant Almond and DI Alan Pack from Sussex Police.

Man wanted in connection with armed robbery at post office

Police are warning people not to approach Danny Walsh Credit: Thames Valley Police

People are being warned not to approach a man wanted in connection with an armed robbery in Banbury.

Detectives said that they wanted to find 25-year-old Danny Walsh who sometimes sleeps rough in a tent in the town where a post office was targeted yesterday.

The offender entered the Easington Post Office shortly after 3.15pm with what's believed to be a black handgun and, after being given cash, he fled on foot.

“If you see Walsh please do not approach him, instead call police on 999.

“If you have information about Walsh, his whereabouts or in a non-emergency please call police on 101.

“I would like to reassure the local community that we are conducting a thorough investigation into this serious offence. We have already spoken to a number of witnesses, obtained CCTV and carried out extra patrols in the area.

“If anyone is concerned or has questions then please do not hesitate to speak to a police officer or PCSO.”

– Senior Investigating officer, Detective Inspector Nick Glister

Two men steal thousands from Sussex post office

Two men made off with thousands of pounds from a post office in Sussex this evening, police have told ITV News Meridian.

The men, in their 20s, threatened staff at the shop in Brunswick Road in Shoreham just before half past five.

They are then believed to have run away from the post office in the direction of the railway line.

There's currently a cordon in place while police and crime scene investigators gather evidence.


Post office staff threatened with hammer in Shoreham

Police are searching for two robbers who threatened staff with a hammer in Shoreham this evening.

The men broke into the rear of the Post Office in Brunswick Road at around half past five.

They made off with several thousand pounds. Police say the men were in their twenties and wore dark clothing.

The building in Brunswick Road has been taped off Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Man threatened with knife during robbery

An investigation's underway after a man was threatened with a knife and robbed in Southampton.

The 39-year-old victim was walking along the alleyway between Mount Pleasant Road and Imperial Road on the afternoon of the 4th of September when he was approached by two men.

They demanded the victim handed over money. One of the men was holding a knife.

The victim gave them £215 in benefits that he had just collected.

“I am appealing for anyone with information about this robbery to come forward. This cutway is well used; did you pass through it that afternoon? Did you see what happened or do you recongnise the descriptions of the offenders? I would urge anyone with information to get in touch as soon as possible.”

– Detective Constable Alison Humby

Two men jailed for gunpoint robbery

Two men have been jailed for a total of 26 years after burgling a couple at gunpoint in their own home.

Ramone Barnes, 25 and of Croydon in London, and Orville Anderson, 28 and of Tulse Hill in London, were handed prison terms of 14 years and 12 years respectively at Bournemouth Crown Court today, Thursday 4 June 2015, after being convicted of aggravated burglary.

Orville Anderson has been jailed for 12 years Credit: Dorset Police
Ramone Barnes has been jailed for 14 years Credit: Dorset Police

The court heard that at about 1am on Friday 16 August 2013, four masked men smashed a patio door at the rear of a house in East Way as a couple and their two young grandchildren were asleep.

After hearing noises, the grandfather went downstairs and was confronted by the offenders who demanded to know the whereabouts of a safe. One of the men was armed with a hand gun and another with an asp baton.

The armed man ushered the grandfather back upstairs, made him sit in the bedroom and pointed the gun in his face. He threatened the victim that unless he told them where the safe was he would shoot him. However, the couple did not have a safe in their home.

The rest of the gang searched the house and left with the victims’ mobile phones. The court heard that as they left the scene, they accidentally made a call on the grandmother’s mobile phone to the last number she had dialled.

The call, which was to the victim’s daughter, went to answerphone. The recording captured people running down the road but was not good enough quality to hear what was said by Barnes, Anderson and their accomplices. The offenders left no forensic evidence at the scene but detectives traced calls made by the victims’ mobile phones.

Barnes was arrested on 20 August 2013 and Anderson on 7 January 2014 after his DNA was found in Barnes’ car.

“This was terrifying ordeal for a couple who should have been safe in their own home while they cared for their young grandchildren. Barnes and Anderson planned and executed the burglary as a group and I hope the strong sentences handed out today will act as a warning that crimes such as this are taken very seriously by the courts. The burglary has had a lasting effect on the family and they have had to move. Despite all they have gone through, they have stayed strong and shown a great deal of courage and determination.”

– Detective Constable James Taylor, of Bournemouth CID
Load more updates