Live updates

  1. Tom Savvides

Tearful mum recalls how baby died in cot at centre of safety warning

A mother has broken down in tears as she spoke of the horrifying moment she found her baby daughter dead in a cot at the family home in Sussex. Grace Roseman was seven weeks old when she died in Haywards Heath. A coroner has already issued a safety warning about the crib. The inquest into baby Grace's death resumed in Horsham. This report by Tom Savvides contains flashing images and pictures from the bednest website.

Cot warning after seven-week-old baby dies in Sussex

7-week-old Grace Roseman died in Bednest crib

A coroner has expressed concern over a bedside cot after a newborn baby from Haywards Heath was killed while she slept.

Seven-week-old Grace Roseman died while using a crib which could be joined onto her parents' bed.

She had manoeuvred herself over the edge of the Bednest - cutting off the supply of oxygen to her brain.

Grace Roseman was sleeping in a Bednest like this when she died. Credit: Bednest

‘We are greatly saddened and extend our heartfelt condolences to Grace’s parents.

We are doubly upset to hear this news, since the concept behind Bednest’s design is first and foremost about baby health and safety and came originally from highly experienced neo-natal nurses.

It is not the case that the coroner has called the cot “dangerous” and asked for it to be withdrawn.

The coroner has highlighted that all safety guidelines for the correct use of the crib are laid out in the instruction manual, but due to a growing second-hand market for our Bednest cribs, these instruction manuals may not be passed on. This may be, sadly, what happened with Grace’s crib.

We are now considering displaying basic instructions on the side of the crib itself.'

– Spokesperson for Bednest

Advertisement

Child's cot deemed unsafe after mother found daughter hanging from neck

Furniture boss Phillip Dickens was given a three-month suspended prison sentence by Aylesbury Crown Court today after his company supplied a cot that trapped a child by the neck.

On behalf of his company, Oxfordshire-based Baumhaus, Mr Dickens had admitted two counts of placing an unsafe product on the market, between January 2010 and July 2013, at an earlier hearing on March 16.

This follows a prosecution by Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards.

Judge Karen Holt fined his company £12,000 and suspended Mr Dickens's prison sentence for a year. She also awarded costs of £35,653.94.

The court heard that Buckinghamshire resident Louise Conant bought one of Baumhaus's Nutkin three-drawer cotbeds for her 19-month-old daughter, Ophelia.

On April 16, 2013 she put Ophelia in the cotbed for her lunchtime sleep, and was monitoring her via a video monitor system when she noticed the toddler getting into difficulty.

She hurried upstairs to find her daughter hanging by her neck, which had become lodged in a gap between the end of the bed and a horizontal handrail.

Ophelia Conant caught in cotbed Credit: Buckinghamshire County Council
Louise and Ophelia Conant after the incident Credit: Buckinghamshire County Council

Nine days later, Northamptonshire mother Deborah Turner, who had also bought a Nutkin cotbed, found her son dangling on the outside of the cot with his forehead jammed against the horizontal handrail.

As a result of Mrs Conant's complaint to Trading Standards at Buckinghamshire County Council, officers took away the cotbed, found the supplier Baumhaus, and confronted them with the problem - and a copy of a video of Mrs Conant's daughter in distress.