Live updates

Man charged with kidnapping woman in Southampton

A man has been charged with kidnap and sexual assault after an incident in Southampton in the early hours of Sunday.

A 30-year-old woman from Fareham got into a car just before 2am in Bedford Place, believing it was a taxi. The woman was sexually assaulted over her clothing before being left near junction 9 of the M27. The victim wasn't hurt.

Elvis WIlliams, aged 57, from Mosaic Close, Southampton has been charged with kidnap and sexual assault.

He will appear before Southampton Magistrates Court this morning.


Kidnapped man found safe and well

Tony Kurt (pictured on left) has been found safe and well Credit: Sussex Police

Detectives have traced a man who was kidnapped off the street in Brighton.

Tony Kurt has contacted officers after seeing the force's video appeals in English and Albanian for him to come forward.

The 19-year-old is safe and well and is now being interviewed about his ordeal.

"We're delighted to have made contact with Mr Kurt and are now speaking to him about what happened. He contacted the Metropolitan Police and has been brought to Sussex so we can speak to him. I'd like to thank the media and the public for all their help in identifying and tracing him. The investigation is continuing to move rapidly and we are making good progress but we are still trying to find anyone who may have seen or has knowledge of the kidnapping or the Vauxhall Astra being driven in Brighton after the victim was attacked. If you know anything at all about what happened, please contact us."

– Temporary Detective Superintendent Jason Taylor

The fourth man was arrested yesterday in connection with the kidnap.

Redon Sadria, 19, of New Steine, Brighton, has now been charged with possession with intent to supply Class A drugs and money-laundering. He was remanded in custody to appear at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

Just before 6pm on Sunday the victim was bundled into a Vauxhall Astra with the registration number HN05 FPY in Princes Terrace, Brighton, after he got out of a taxi in the road.

The Vauxhall involved in the kidnapping was found parked in Benett Avenue, Hove, on Thursday afternoon (16 April). It is currently being forensically examined but officers are still trying to trace exactly where it has been since Sunday evening.

Officers are continuing to piece together information about the attack and are carrying out inquiries across the county.

CCTV in Queens Square, Brighton, shows the victim with another man close to the taxi rank in the road shortly after 5.30pm on Sunday 12 April.

The victim is the man with the beard and sunglasses in the CCTV, which can be viewed at The second man may have seen the kidnapping happen. He is encouraged to come forward to speak to police as soon as possible.

Gazmend Mula, 29, of Temple Street, Brighton, has been charged with conspiracy to kidnap and possession with intent to supply a Class A drug.

Ilir Hasa, 23, of Denmark Villas, Hove, has been charged with conspiracy to kidnap and possession of an offensive weapon.

Both appeared at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Saturday (18 April) and were remanded in custody to appear at Lewes Crown Court on 7 May.

Officers are still looking for at least two other men in connection with the kidnapping.

Men questioned over kidnap of man in Brighton

Three men were questioned today over the kidnap of a man who was bundled into a car during a terrifying incident in a seaside town at the weekend.

Detectives detained the three on suspicion of conspiracy to kidnap after a man was ambushed as he got out of a taxi and forced into another car in the centre of Brighton, East Sussex on Sunday. A hunt was still underway to find the victim and the car used.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said that officers believed the man got out of a taxi before being put into another vehicle, a silver Vauxhall Astra, just before 6pm in Princes Terrace, Brighton. He was then driven away.

"A 23-year-old man, a 29-year-old man and a man aged 34 years, all from Brighton, are currently in custody," said the spokesman.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Rymarz said: "There has been a dedicated team working 24 hours a day since the incident took place to try to establish the whereabouts and well-being of the victim in this matter.

"We still need to trace the victim and the vehicle used in connection with this incident. The vehicle is a silver Vauxhall Astra with a registration number of HN05 FPY and we are keen to speak to driver of a white van who witnessed the incident in Princes Terrace and who spoke with other witnesses at the time."

Anyone with any information was asked to call police on 101 quoting Operation Wave or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


Dorset man jailed for kidnap and robbery

A 27-year-old man has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for kidnap and robbery.

Daniel Robert Howard was sentenced on the 13th March alongside a 19-year-old Ferndown man who was also sentenced for the same offences at the same time.

The incident happened at 12.40pm on Tuesday 30th April on the A31 near Lidl and continued at a car park on the Trickets Estate behind Barnes Close.

The 22-year-old victim was forced into a gold coloured Peugeot and driven to a nearby car park, dragged out of the vehicle and assaulted.

He sustained cuts and bruising to his face, body and legs due to the kicks by the two offenders but was able to walk home and the police was alerted.

This was an unusual incident for this area which received coverage at the time. I would like to reassure members of the public that such a crime is very uncommon in this area and indeed Dorset and that the offenders and the victim were known to each other."

– Steve May, of Bournemouth and Poole CID

Attempted kidnap of 16-year-old girl

Thames Valley Police is appealing for witnesses following an attempted kidnap of a teenager.

At around 11.15pm on Sunday 29th December, a 16-year-old girl was standing at a bus stop in St Clement’s Street, close to the junction with Caroline Street.

A man approached her in a vehicle, thought to be a dark coloured car, opened the windows and asked her to get inside a number of times, which she refused.

Another man was standing at the bus stop on his phone at the time and spoke to the girl.

The girl got on the number 8 bus which travelled up London Road. The girl got off the bus around 11.25pm opposite the junction of Gladstone Road.

The same man got out of his vehicle and touched her on the shoulder. He asked her to get into the vehicle again before she pushed him and ran away.

If you saw anyone acting suspiciously in the area at the time of the incident please contact us. If you were standing at the bus stop and witnessed the incident please come forward.This sort of incident is rare but was frightening for the lone girl and I would like to reassure the public that we are treating it extremely seriously.The local neighbourhood team are aware of this incident and will be patrolling in the area. Anyone with any concerns, please speak to them.”

– Det Con Gurinder Sangha, of Oxford Force CID

Five charged with kidnap

Five people have been charged with kidnap after a large scale police investigation.

It follows the kidnap of a 40-year-old man from the Farnborough area.

Those arrested are Giedrius Cerniauskas, 30, of West Thamesmead, London; Virginiyos Suchodolskis, 37, of West Thamesmead, London; Dzeraldas Jacinskas, 42, of London; Vladislavas Tebenkovas, 29, of no fixed abode and Domantas Karpas, 31, of Willingham, Cambridgeshire.

They have all been charged with conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to blackmail and conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm with intent.

They have been remanded into custody and will appear at Basingstoke Magistrates Court today.

Two men arrested following suspected kidnap in Chatham

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of kidnap after a man in Medway called police saying he was in the boot of a car.

Officers were called to Chatham Hill, Chatham on Thursday after receiving reports that a man had apparently been forced into the boot of car.

A further call to police was received from a man who claimed to have been accosted. He said he was calling from the boot of the car.

The call was disconnected before full details could be obtained.

Immediate action by local patrols resulted in a car being located in Green Street, Chatham. A man was found from the boot of the car.

Two men aged 31 and 38-years old both from Gillingham have been arrested on suspicion of kidnap. They are currently in police custody.

Load more updates