Live updates


Murder investigation after assault at Lancing house

Credit: ITV Meridian

A murder investigation has begun after a man suffered a fatal head injury at a house in Lancing in West Sussex.

Police were called to an address in Ingleside Crescent at around 8pm on Monday after reports of a disturbance.

When police returned to the property an hour later to carry out a welfare check, a 52 year old man had suffered a serious head injury.

He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, but died of his injuries on Tuesday morning.

A 44 year old Shoreham man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody.

Credit: ITV Meridian

We want to hear from anyone who was in the area on Monday evening and may have seen someone acting suspiciously or something out of the ordinary. Anyone with information can contact Sussex Police on 101 quoting Operation Reservoir. Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

– Detective Inspector Mark Cullimore, Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team

REPORT : Plane recovered from sea after pilot's controlled crash

The pilot and his passenger managed to swim to shore

Two men have had a dramatic escape when their light aircraft ditched into the sea at Shoreham.

They managed to swim to the beach and apart from being shocked they were otherwise unhurt.

An investigation will now be held to find out exactly what went wrong.

Our reporter Andy Dickenson spoke to eye witnesses:

Andy spoke to Inspector Stuart Goodwin from Sussex Police, and eyewitnesses Donna Milton, Emma Kennard and Nick Bengtsson.

Huge delays on A27 after pedestrian hit by car

Investigators at the scene

Long delays remain around the A27 in Lancing after the road was closed following a serious accident.

A pedestrian suffered critical injuries after being hit by a car on the eastbound carriageway.

It happened 500m east of the Lancing Manor roundabout and led to the A27 being closed to eastbound traffic between the roundabout and the A283 Steyning interchange.

Motorists have been being diverted via the A2025 Grinstead Lane to join the A259 Brighton Road at South Lancing, crossing the River Adur before returning to the A27 via the A283 Old Shoreham Road/Steyning Road.

It has led to heavy congestion, with some drivers saying it's added three or four hours to their journey time

Latest reports suggest there are now half-hour delays for motorists as police continue their investigations.

The eastbound carriageway has remained closed this morning

The Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance flew to the scene following the incident just after 6am this morning. The condition of the pedestrian has not been released. There are no reports of any arrest.


Cafe worker describes terrifying moment he was held at gunpoint

A cafe worker has been telling of the terrifying moment he was threatened by a man with a gun.

Police in Sussex say it's one of a spate of robberies in the Worthing and Lancing area - most at gunpoint - which they think are linked.

Two took place in Orme Rd. One in George 5th Avenue - And another in Seadown Parade in Sompting.

The 5th was in Rowlands Rd, and a 6th in Railway Approach. A further attack happened on The Broadway - with another on Heene Rd.

The final two were at North Rd - and Uncle Sam's in Crabtree Lane - where the cafe worker feared for his life. Charlotte Wilkins has been speaking to Grant Almond and DI Alan Pack from Sussex Police.

36 heroes break world record for longest football game - after 108 hours

This has to be one of the most heroic and inspiring football matches in history.

This afternoon 36 amateur players completed the world's longest game ever - 108 hours of goals, saves, shots and tackles, and a lot more blisters besides. The final score 872 - 1,009.

The match was staged in memory of three Sussex players including Jacob Schilt and Matt Grimstone, killed in the Shoreham aircrash.

Andy Dickenson reports and speaks to organiser Michael Standing, captains Paul Grimstone and Jordan Lucas, and players Kevin Widdows and James Fernandes.

Man jailed for causing death by dangerous driving

Michael Everson has been sentenced to six years in jail Credit: Sussex Police

A Lancing man who was driving a van which left the road and crashed into a tree, killing one of the passengers, has been jailed for six years.

32-year-old Michael Everson, who's unemployed, and of Gravelly Crescent, was sentenced after appearing at Chichester Crown Court on Tuesday.

Everson was banned from driving for six years.

Everson had been at the wheel of a red Vauxhall Movano van shortly before 1am on Saturday, June 13, last year when it left the road in Offington Avenue in Salvington, Worthing, and struck a tree near its junction with Offington Drive.

Passenger Samuel Frost died at the scene.

Everson fled the scene on foot but was traced and arrested.

"Our investigation found that Michael Everson had consumed a mixture of alcohol, cocaine and cannabis in the hours prior to the collision. At the time of the collision he was also carrying four people in the front passenger seats of the van which were only designed to safely carry two people.

"His decision to drive the van that evening in such an intoxicated state, and with so many passengers, was highly irresponsible and ultimately led to the tragic death of Samuel Frost.

"The gravity of this case was further aggravated by the fact the Everson ran away from the scene in an attempt to evade responsibility for his actions."

– Sergeant Rob Baldwin, of the Sussex Road Policing unit
Load more updates