Live updates


Teenager due in court in relation to M3 arson attack

A bomb disposal team was sent to the motorway

A teenager is due in court, accused of arson in relation to incidents on the M3.

The motorway was shut for nearly twelve hours last month, as police investigated a hazardous substance believed to have been thrown from a motorway bridge near Winchester.

The 17 year old also faces charges of blackmail and theft.

The incident caused tailbacks for 11 hours


Teenage boy charged over M3 incident which closed motorway for eleven hours

Officers investigating an incident on the M3 on Saturday 23 September have arrested and charged a 17-year-old boy from Winchester.

He was charged on 30 September with:

  • • Two counts of arson with intent to endanger life in connection with incidents on the M3 on 16 and 23 September
  • • Two counts of causing danger to road users in connection with incidents on the M3 on 16 and 23 September

The M3 was closed for eleven hours as police investigated the incident at a footbridge near St Catherine's Hill on the outskirts of Winchester.

The bomb squad was brought in and the area sealed off, as inquiries were made into the nature of material alleged to have been thrown from the bridge shortly before 4am.

The following day police revealed they were not treating the incident as terrorist activity.

Hampshire Police were criticised for not giving adequate information about the incident and for poor traffic management.

But they said public safety was their top priority and had a duty to investigate the matter thoroughly.

The boy has been remanded in police custody to appear at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on Monday 2 October.

Family's tribute to "beloved son and brother" who died following police-stop M3 collision

Credit: Hampshire Constabulary

The family of a "beloved son and brother" who died following a collision on the M3 have paid tribute to him.

Nathan Sedgewicke - who was 41 and from Slough - died following an incident on the M3 between junctions 12 and 13 on Sunday 10th September.

Just before 1am, Mr Sedgewicke's car and a following police car came to a stop on the hard shoulder of the southbound carriageway.

When Mr Sedgewicke got out of the car and entered the carriageway he was struck by at least one vehicle. He died en route to hospital.

Hampshire Constabulary has referred this incident to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Today his family have paid tribute to him:

Nathan was a beloved son and brother who put a smile on everyone’s face with his quick wit and humour.

He was extremely kind and will be sorely missed by everyone who loved and knew him."

– Family's tribute

Hampshire Police is asking anyone with information about the incident to contact l 101 and quoting 44170350566.

IPCC investigating fatal crash on the M3 in Hampshire

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has launched an investigation after a man died in a crash on the M3 in Hampshire.

Officers were pursuing a blue BMW just before 1am yesterday morning when both vehicles stopped on the hard shoulder between junctions 12 and 13 at Eastleigh.

The driver of the BMW got out the car and stepped onto the carriageway, and was then hit by at least one other vehicle.

The M3 was closed for several hours following the collision Credit: ITV Meridian

South Central Ambulance Service attended but the man died en route to hospital.

The M3 was closed in both directions between junctions 12 and 13 between 1.30 and 6.30am. The southbound carriageway reopened at 6.30am and the northbound at 8.30am.

Load more updates