Live updates


Three men in court after more than £1m fuel stolen

Three men have gone on trial in connection with a scam that saw fuel worth more than £1 million stolen from underground pipelines in the South East.

Maidstone Crown Court was told that there were several attacks on the pipelines, which carry fuel from refineries to customers and that fuel was then syphoned off and sold illegally.

Derek Johnson has our report.

Firm fined £100k after fatal human cannonball stunt

Stuntman Matthew Cranch died after his safety net collapsed

A stunt firm - has been fined - 100 thousand pounds - after a human cannonball stunt - went tragically wrong. Matthew Cranch - died after being fired into the air - at the county showground in Kent.

The director of the company escaped a jail sentence at Maidstone Crown Court today. He was given a 12-month community order. The court heard that a mechanism triggering release of the safety net was not properly set. Derek Johnson reports.

In the report we hear from Tracey Beattie from Maidstone Borough Council.

Police hunt defendant who absconded from his assault trial

Gary Moore escaped from Maidstone Crown Court Credit: Kent Police

Police are hunting 34 year old Gary Moore who absconded from Maidstone Crown Court during his trial

Gary Moore, of Ballard Close in Marden, had been charged with an assault which took place in Peel Street in September 2015.

He is reported to have absconded from the court’s custody during a break in proceedings and is known to have connections to Marden and Gillingham.

He is described as being 6ft 2ins tall with a tattoo on his left collar bone. His hair is blonde and short.

The trial is continuing in his absence.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call Kent Police on 101

HGV driver who hit 13 cars walks free from court

The crash happened in June 2015

A lorry driver who ploughed through a busy Kent town crashing into 13 cars after falling ill at the wheel, has walked free from court.

Mariusz Sudol drove for a mile an a half along the London Road through the centre of Southborough near Tunbridge Wells, leaving a trail of devastation.

He was charged with dangerous driving and failing to stop after an accident - but prosecutors offered no evidence against him when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court. John Ryall reports.

The report contains an interview with Natalie Chapman from the Freight Transport Association.


Pair who sold illegal slimming drugs jailed for 18 months

Two former employees of Dartford health clinic who illegally sold slimming drugs to people across the UK have each been sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Lisa Casey, 52 and Tracey Walsh, 50 appeared at Maidstone Crown Court yesterday.

The pair pleaded guilty to four offences of possession with intent to supply class C controlled prescription drugs.

When the two women left the slimming clinic in Dartford in July 2012, they contacted the drug manufacturers who supplied the clinic and sent them forged prescription orders.

They sold them to customers throughout the UK and Ireland without any medical supervision and against government regulations.

Detectives found they had obtained 110,000 appetite suppressant tablets over a period of 10 months before police intervention stopped their illegal £100,000 operation.

Man jailed for pawning family war medals for drugs

A man from Chatham has been jailed for pawning family war medals and stealing nearly £9,000 from his deceased mother’s account to fund his drug habit.

29-year-old Brendan Cameron admitted to charges of theft, fraud and possession of crack cocaine, cannabis and heroin at Medway Magistrates’ Court on 2nd September.

He was sentenced yesterday at Maidstone Crown Court to 10 months in prison.

Cameron pawned a naval medal from WWI and another medal from WWII for £522.

A debit card owned by his mother and his grandmother was also stolen and £8,774 withdrawn.

He later admitted that he had withdrawn the cash from the account over a three-week period to fund his drug habit.

His actions following the death of his mother were nothing short of disgraceful with no consideration for the impact it would have on an already grieving family.

I hope this sentence will give him an opportunity to reflect on the depths that he has sunk to in committing these terrible crimes.

– PC Neil Bowdery, Investigating officer

Police go undercover to jail cocaine dealer for 3 years

A drug dealer has been jailed for three years following an undercover police investigation into the drug supply in Gravesend.

Brian Warrington was sentenced for three years at Maidstone Crown Court after pleading guilty to being concerned in the supply of cocaine.

Warrington was arrested in August after a five month operation in which he offered to supply cocaine to an undercover police officer.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Chris Weatherstone of Kent Police said,

This investigation involved an officer working undercover to get to the heart of a local drug dealing network in Gravesham.

Whilst the quantities of Class A drugs might have been small, disrupting this network can only be a good things as we look to keep drugs off our streets."

– Detective Constable Chris Weatherstone
Load more updates