Live updates

Triple killer begins life jail sentence

A used-car salesman who murdered his estranged wife, their son and his father-in-law by setting fIre to their home in Kent following the collapse of their marriage has been jailed for life.

A judge told triple killer Danai Muhammadi that he will spend at least 38 years behind bars before being eligible for parole.

Derek Johnson reports, speaking to Martin Yale of the Crown Prosecution Service.


BREAKING NEWS: Life sentence for murderers

Danai Muhammadi (left) and Farhad Mahmud (right) were found guilty of three counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder. Credit: Kent Police

Danai Muhammadi has been sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 38 years after murdering three generations of the same family.

Muhammadi started a petrol fire at his family home in Kent in September 2011.

Farhad Mahmud, his accomplice, was also sentenced to life for murder with a minimum term of 34 years.

Judge Mr Justice Sweeney sentenced bothat Maidstone Crown Court today.

Muhammadi's wife Melissa Crook, their 15 month old son Noah and Melissa's father Mark died after the family home in Chatham Hill, Chatham was torched.

Muhammadi had driven 200 miles from his home in Coventry and CCTV showed him filling a can with petrol at a local garage shortly before the fire.

Melissa Crook had split up from her husband and had asked for a divorce and, during the six-week trial, the jury was told that Muhammadi was bitter and angry and had sought revenge.

  1. John Ryall

Court to see cctv of fire that killed mother and baby

Melissa Crook and her baby son died in a fire at their Chatham home

A murder trial jury has been told it will see CCTV showing the fire started in an arson attack at Chatham, Kent, which killed 20 year old Melissa Crook, her baby son and her father.

Mrs Crook's estranged husband Danai Muhammadi, 24, Muhammadi's girlfriend Emma Smith, 21, and friend Farhad Mahmud, 35, deny three counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder.

The jury are now being shown mobile phone and traffic camera records charting Muhammadi's movements on the night of the fire.

The trial continues at Maidstone Crown Court.