The Department for Transport has provided an extra £20m in funding for preparations and contingency plans in Kent ahead of Brexit.Read the full story ›
The Spirit of Discovery will be named by the Duchess of Cornwall in July.Read the full story ›
An 18 year old man, arrested at the port of Dover, following the Parsons Green terror attack is due in court.
An improvised explosive device injured 30 people on an underground train during rush hour last month.
Ahmed Hassan, an Iraqi asylum seeker, of Cavendish Road in Sunbury has been accused of attempted murder and using the chemical compound TATP to cause an explosion that was likely to endanger life.
He allegedly bought parts to make the improvised explosive device online and left the District Line train at Putney Bridge before the device partially detonated at the next station on 15th September.
Witnesses described how a fireball erupted inside the carriage, leaving 30 people injured, including one woman with serious burns.
The teenager, whose parents are understood to have been killed in Iraq, was in the foster care of Penelope and Ronald Jones, aged 71 and 88 respectively, who previously received MBEs for services to children and families.
Hassan will make his first Crown Court appearance before senior judge Mr Justice Haddon-Cave via video link from custody.
The Port of Dover says millions of pounds of investment and hundreds of jobs will be at risk if it can't dredge the material it wants from the Goodwin Sands.
The work will help expand the Western Docks and the port says getting sand from further away will massively increase the carbon footprint of the project.
Opponents of the scheme say they will ask for a judicial review if the Government does give the go-ahead later this year.
As Iain McBride reports.
Iain spoke to Neil Wiggins the Community Director at the Port of Dover, Bryony Chapman, a Marine Policy Officer from the Kent Wildlife Trust and Joanna Thomson from the Save Our Sands Campaign.
Two men arrested at Dover Docks jailed for more than seven years under Terrorism Act for distributing or publishing extremist material.Read the full story ›
Border force officials have seized cocaine with a street value of £680,000 after discovering the haul hidden among cans of Pepsi Max cola at the Port of Dover.
Officials found the 17 kilograms of the drug after searching a Bulgarian freight lorry that had arrived on a ferry from the Netherlands on Friday 9 December. Several packages were found hidden under a legitimate shipment of Pepsi Max. The investigation has been handed over to the National Crime Agency.
The driver, a 40-year-old man with dual Macedonian and Bulgarian nationality, was arrested and released on bail pending further enquiries.
“This is a significant seizure which has prevented a large quantity of dangerous substances reaching the UK’s streets.
“As this case shows, our officers are on constant alert to stop drugs, weapons and other banned goods entering the country.
“We work in partnership with the National Crime Agency (NCA) to disrupt traffickers and prevent illegal drugs causing harm to communities.”
Anyone with information about activity they suspect may be linked to smuggling can call the Border Force hotline on 0800 59 5000.
Two men have been arrested at Dover Eastern Docks in relation to terrorism offences.
The man, aged 22 and 20, were stopped by the South East Counter Terrorism Unit as they tried to leave the country.
They have been arrested under Section 5 Terrorism Act 2006, preparation of terrorism acts but the authorities have stressed that the arrests are not connected to events in Paris.
I would firstly like to confirm these arrests are not linked to the Paris terrorist incidents and there is no immediate threat to the local community.
These men were trying to leave the UK via Dover and were arrested following good work by Kent police officers at the Port.
A heroin smuggler who went on the run, has today been given a 20-year jail sentence - even though he wasn't in court - and hasn't been found. David Birks went on the run having been given bail after his first court appearance.
Now the National Crime Agency, the British equivalent of the FBI, is appealing for information about the whereabouts of the 42-year-old, who organised a cross-channel drugs run that would have netted nearly two million pounds. John Ryall was at Canterbury Crown Court.
A drug smuggler who conspired to bring £1.8m worth of heroin through the Port of Dover has been sentenced to 20 years behind bars.
David Birks aged 42 from Rotherham was sentenced in absentia. He went on the run and failed to attend the trial at Canterbury Crown Court.
“David Birks played a key role in an attempt to smuggle class A drugs worth almost £2 million into the UK. There is no doubt that those drugs would have ended up on our streets.
“He then compounded this by failing to turn up for his trial. A warrant has been issued for his arrest and I’d appeal for anyone who has information about his whereabouts to get in contact with us, either directly or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
“We are determined that he should be brought to justice – this is not going to blow over for him, he is not going to fall off our radar. Sooner or later he will have to serve his sentence.”