Live updates

Shoreham Airshow crash- safety measures

11 people were killed when a vintage Hawker Hunter jet crashed during the Shoreham Airshow in 2015 Credit: ITV Meridian

It's been revealed nearly half the safety measures called for by aviation experts after the Shoreham airshow disaster have NOT been acted on.

Now, there are calls for the Department for Transport to investigate why the Civil Aviation Authority hasn't adopted some of the safety recommendations from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

A statement from the UK Civil Aviation Authority said: “The AAIB has published its annual status update, which does not contain anything new but repeats recommendations that have previously been announced and which the CAA continues to review. The AAIB has not yet concluded its investigation into the Shoreham air show accident in 2015. It is very common that, during the course of such a major investigation, the status of recommendations will change by the time the final report is published and we fully expect that to be the case. It would be wrong for us to comment in any more detail on an ongoing investigation, however all of the existing recommendations and those to come will be considered in the round once the AAIB has concluded its investigation. We continue to work with the AAIB on a range of matters and this progress will be reflected in their next update.”

The CAA say they took immediate action after the Shoreham Air Show including a number of restrictions to air displays including grounding civil Hawker Hunter aircraft and limiting the display manoeuvres of similar ex-military jet aircraft flying over land to fly-pasts only. They say they are " committed to doing everything we can to make air shows even safer. We continue to review the impact of these new safety measures and identify other areas to help enhance air show safety."

We spoke to Tim Loughton - MP for East Worthing and Shoreham.


New swim safety initiative

One in five children experience near misses in open water.

In response the Amateur Swimming Association along with the RNLI are launching a safety initiative in Bournemouth for seven to fourteen year olds.

They want to show them the difference between swimming in the confines of a pool and an open water environment.

The video below is an RNLI training feature video.

Rail safety campaign aims to save lives

The Track Tests video shows how Wretch 32 and George the Poet battle to make a split second decision, relying only on their hearing to work out which direction a train is coming from as it travels towards them at 80mph in the dark.

In this instance of course, it’s not a real train. The artists stand in a warehouse where a mocked-up railway with a ‘spoke’ of tracks has been built.

Sound engineers have created a 360 degree surround-sound system to recreate the noise of an approaching train with other distracting noises.

In the test, Wretch and George each stand in the middle of the spoke and, when they are sure which direction the sound is coming from, they select a corresponding button.

Only then do they find out if they are right or wrong and if they selected in enough time.

Rail safety campaign launched

A video campaign aimed at promoting safety on rail lines has been launched by Network Rail.

UK rapper Wretch 32 and spoken word performer George the Poet have put their hearing to the test in a unique experiment as part of the campaign aimed at young men called Track Tests.

Last year 11 people lost their lives after trespassing on the railway in Kent, Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire with 16-24 year old males making up four out of ten fatalities. Incidents occurred both at stations and along the railway.

A survey for Track Tests reveals that despite most agreeing it’s dangerous to trespass on the tracks, a third of people think they would hear a train in time to move out of the way.

IOW motorbike safety course

The Isle of Wight is hosting a motorcycle safety course to prevent an increase in crashes.

The Council's Better Riding course involves theory and practical training aimed at all levels of experience.

In the last three years, 76 motorcyclists have been killed or injured on the Island's roads.

The course helps motorcyclists ride defensively and prepare for hazards on the road.

A variety of techniques will be covered including advanced riding skills, overtaking, braking and filtering as well as basic first aid.

Based at Sandown Fire Station on Thursday evenings.

This course is a great opportunity for people new to riding or those in need of a refresher course to learn about the fundamentals of being safer on the road. Unfortunately, often through no fault of their own, bikers form a disproportionately high percentage of the UK's serious road traffic incidents and we feel this course - and its sister Better Driving course aimed at car drivers - is important to help make our roads safer."

– Phil Jordan, Isle of Wight Council cabinet member for public protection


Warming up for Winter - get your electric blanket tested

Hampshire council is offering people the chance to get their electric blankets checked for safety.

The County Council’s Trading Standards Service has teamed up with Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and local councils to offer the free safety checks at venues across the county in October 2012.

In the last 15 years alone, almost 15,000 blankets have been tested in Hampshire with approximately 45% of these failing the safety checks.

The main problems are that many are old, worn out, have poor wiring, broken controls or offer no protection against over-heating.

Details of when and where the testing will take place can be found on Hampshire's Trading Standards website.

Conservatory built over gas flue

A Kent double glazing company has been fined for safety failiures after building a conservatory over a gas flue.

Family firm Supaglazing, of Strood, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive for breaching gas safety regulations for the second time.

Dartford Magistrates Court was told that the firm’s workers built the conservatory over an existing flue for a boiler at a property on Beavor Road, Allington, Maidstone, so there was no escape route for gases and other combustion products.

A woman who was pregnant and a child were living in the home.

The incident came to light after an engineer visited the house to give an estimate for relocating the flue.

The firm, with outlets in Dartford and Sittingbourne, admitted breaching the gas safety regulations between 23 July and 2 October 2010. It was fined £14,000 and ordered to pay £2,826 in costs.

Load more updates