The Ministry of Defence has apologised after it emerged body parts and tissue thought to be from 30 soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan were kept without permission from their families.
The MoD said it would confirm their identities on Thursday and would write to families offering a formal apology and details of the material held.
"A small number of cases" did not follow procedure, the MoD said.
Maj Gen James Everard said two families had already been informed.
He said one of the samples dated back to 2002.
Officer cadets from 13 countries pass out at Sandringham today, marking the end of their 12 months training.
Two hundred and forty five officer cadets will parade before family and friends at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst on Friday 13 April to mark the end of their year's training. Most will go on to command troops in Afghanistan within eighteen months.
An inquest will be held today on a soldier who died in hospital two days after being caught in a bomb blast in Afghanistan. Private Daniel Prior died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham in March last year after being wounded while serving with 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
This bright, inspiring and able paratrooper knew the risks of war more than almost anyone. Every one of the thousand troops in this Battle Group will mourn this irreplaceable loss."
The people of Carterton in Oxfordshire join friends and family of six soldiers killed in Afghanistan to pay their respects.
A town fell silent today as the bodies of six soldiers killed in Afghanistan were returned home.Read the full story ›
The people of Carterton in Oxfordshire join the friends and families of six soldiers killed in Afghanistan to pay tribute to them.
The cortege of six soldiers killed in Afghanistan has left Brize Norton and is heading to Carterton.