It's hoped the project will improve water quality The Solent was once Europe's largest oyster bed employing hundreds of people.Read the full story ›
A major naval exercise has taken place in the Solent to give young officers the chance to put what they've learned into practice.Read the full story ›
A busy weekend in the Solent- Cowes Week begins, and ship enthusiasts try to film USS George WH Bush, as American sailors head to shoreRead the full story ›
A kayaker has been airlifted to safety suffering from hypothermia and severe sea sickness after his kayak capsized.
Cowes RNLI lifeboat race to his aid after he ran into difficulties in choppy waters off the entrance to the Beaulieu River.
Before the lifeboat arrived on the scene the man had been pulled from the water by the crew of a passing yacht.
But his condition was so severe the man was airlifted into the Coastguard helicopter and flown to Southampton General Hospital.
A diver from Hampshire says he's close to finally identifying the wreck of a flying boat which has been on the seabed in the Solent for more than 50 years. Richard Jones has this report.
It's been more than a year since the cargo ship the Hoegh Osaka was deliberately run aground on a sandbank in the Solent and it's been reported that the recovery cost ran into millions.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch says its report into the incident is at the consultation stage.
The 50 thousand tonne car carrier was stranded for 19 days before it was able to be towed to Southampton Docks.
Three people have been rescued in the Solent this evening after their speedboat sank.
The coastguard helicopter joined lifeboats from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight after a yacht reported seeing debris.
An adult and child were recovered from the water by a passing vessel. A third person, who was believed to be missing, swam to the shore.
All three are receiving medical attention, but no one is believed to be seriously injured.
Volunteers from Gosport and Ryde Independent Lifeboat and the Cowes RNLI were also involved in the operation.
The Solent Swim Challenge launched by the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust and Anna Wardley wbhich was due to take place on Sunday has been postponed due to forecast strong winds.
The event has been rescheduled for the contingency date of Sunday 5 October.
Twenty-one swimmers from across the south of England were due to take the plunge on Sunday morning to tackle the 2.5-nautical mile course across the Solent from Stokes Bay, Gosport, to Ryde Sands on the Isle of Wight.
Anna Wardley, who last year swam non-stop around the Isle of Wight, explains, “The safety of the swimmers and our support crew has always been our absolute number one priority. We have been receiving in depth weather forecasts from our meteorologist, Simon Rowell, and the wind forecast has steadily worsened through the week. Now, with the forecast at 15-20 knots, gusting between five and seven knots more than that during the planned time of the swim, it means it’s not safe to go ahead. In addition the wave height is forecast to be 1.2 metres, which would make it impossible to maintain constant visual contact with the swimmers. Having been in this position myself during my endurance swims, I know it is frustrating for the swimmers who have been training to be in peak physical condition for Sunday, but the weather is part of the challenge of open water swimming.”
The swimmers have so far raised more than £22,000 including their entry fees, for the Isle of Wight-based charity which takes young people aged between 8 and 24 sailing to help them regain their confidence on their way to recovery from cancer.
Clare Ryan from the Trust said, “We would just like to say a huge thank you to all of our swimmers, volunteers, supporters and crew who have dedicated so much time and effort into preparing for this challenge. We are now putting all of our efforts into planning our contingency date 5 October 2014. We are overwhelmed at how understanding our swimmers have been and would like to thank everyone who has donated to the Trust.”
Gosport MP Caroline Dinenage has this morning welcomed news from the Government that the long awaited Stubbington bypass has finally received the go-ahead.
In response to the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership’s bid for a funding package to ease congestion in Gosport and Fareham, the Government has agreed to an initial investment of £19.7 million which will be used for preliminary work on the Stubbington bypass.
In addition, the Government has agreed to work with the Solent LEP to negotiate a phase of co-investment to support road improvements on the Gosport peninsula, namely the construction of the Stubbington bypass.
For decades, the Gosport peninsula has been in desperate need of an additional access road so today’s announcement of the first tranche of money to build a new access road is landmark news. Not only would this new road cut travelling times for long suffering commuters, it would also make our area more attractive to investors and help to create jobs locally. Having worked hard to secure this new road for the past four years, I am delighted that the ministerial visits and meetings have paid off and that the Government has recognised our very real need for a decent access road to Gosport."
If you've always dreamed of managing a fort then this may be the perfect job for you. No Man's Land in the Solent is looking for a manager when it opens later this year. However you may need your own boat or helicopter to get to work as the fort can't be accessed any other way!
No Man's Land Fort is one of three 19th century grade II listed forts in the middle of the Solent. A private island with 22 bedrooms, plenty of luxurious function spaces and unparalleled privacy, No Man's Land Fort needs a manager to rule the fort, which will open its doors in autumn 2014.
Accessed only by boat or helicopter, the chosen manager will boast the most stylish daily commute and can take advantage of other perks such as hosting laser fort parties and being the envy of every sailor in the Solent.