Live updates

Rescue operation to free women trapped under tree

Three people have been injured as strong winds, the remnants of hurricane Gonzalo, buffeted the south today.

Three women were trapped when a tree fell at Southwick Recreation Ground in West Sussex. One was in a mobility scooter. They were all taken to hospital.

The incident happened minutes after the Met Office upgraded it's weather warning to include the South of England. That remains in force until eight o'clock tonight until which time further disruption to travel and further damage is a possibility. Malcolm Shaw reports:


Statement on fallen tree in Southwick

“This must have been a terrifying incident for all concerned and the Councils are doing everything in their power to ensure that our parks are safe for all to enjoy. Adur District Council is responsible for the Recreation Ground and takes the safety of all visitors extremely seriously. Our investigation will be immediate and thorough, and we will make the results public as soon as we have them. Our thoughts are with the ladies involved - we all wish them a speedy recovery and wish to thank our 999 response teams for their swift and decisive actions.”

– John Mitchell, Director for Communities at Adur & Worthing Councils

Three injured by fallen tree in West Sussex

Three people have been injured by a fallen tree at Southwick Recreation Ground in West Sussex just before 10am this morning.

Two women, who were trapped underneath, were taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton, suffering from back, neck and pelvic pain, and one suffered a head injury, a South East Coast Ambulance spokesman said.

A third casualty, who police believe was a woman in a wheelchair, was taken to Worthing Hospital by ambulance.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and the Kent, Surrey and Sussex air ambulance also attended the scene.

Sussex Police said the casualties were all conscious and breathing when they were taken to hospital.


Tree-mendous: Olympic bus has brush with branch

With so much planning for the Torch Relay, who would have thought the convoy would be undone by a low lying tree. As Lloyds TSB's Olympic Bus passed through Fareham over the weekend, staff on the top deck had to dive for cover after it hit a branch, before a big piece snapped off on top of the bus

It's uncertain whether the relay organisers will take a 'root and branch' review of the incident. Take a look at this amusing video.

Load more updates