Labs closed as student falls ill

Police in Southampton and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating after a 25-year-old Southampton University PHD chemistry student became ill - chemicals are being tested.

View all 10 updates ›

Poisoned student remains in hospital

The labs at Southampton University Credit: ITV Meridian

A postgraduate student from Southampton University remains in hospital after he became ill with chemical poisoning. Tests revealed the 25-year old chemistry student, who fell ill three weeks ago, had arsenic and the highly toxic metal Thallium in his body.

He is being treated in Cardiff at a specialist toxicology unit. His condition is not known. Labs at the university remain closed as a precaution and a police investigation is under way.

More top news