Advertisement

Tumble dryer causes fire in pub

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at a public house in Ramsden near Witney at 10.07 am this morning.

Four fire engines attended the fire and on arrival crews were faced with smoke issuing from the roof of the grade 2 listed building. Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the building with a hose reel to tackle the fire.

The crews discovered that the fire involved a tumble dryer in a first floor room which had caused heavy smoke logging throughout the property. The crews quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to the remainder of the premises.

"The landlord controlled the initial development of the fire, however it quickly became apparent that the fire could not be extinguished so the building was evacuated and the fire service called. The swift attendance and subsequent fire fighting actions of the fire service led to the damage being confined to the 1st floor of the public house.”

– Incident Commander, Station Manager Guy Dunkley

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service advise that if you discover a fire within your property the best course of action is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.