Firefighters are urging people to purchase e-cigarettes from reputable retailers. A woman in Sussex had a lucky escape when her e-cigarette exploded.
Firefighters were called to the flat in Green Lane Close, Arundel, after the occupier was woken by her smoke detector and called 999.
The fire is believed to have started when the e-cigarette, which had been purchased from a market stall without instructions or packaging, was left charging overnight. The device subsequently overheated and exploded, scorching the wall and spraying hot fragments over soft furnishings in the flat.
Thankfully, nobody was injured and the fire was out on arrival.