Thirteen people have appeared in court after a crackdown on dropping litter in Thanet.
The offenders had ignored fixed penalty notices and reminders. They face fines and costs of more than £362 each.
Thanet Council has issued the following reminders:
- There will be no warnings - if you drop any litter (including cigarette butts or chewing gum) you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £80
- Not having a bin to hand is not an excuse for littering
- The offence is complete once the item is deposited and left
- Placing a cigarette end down a drain is still an offence which will result in a fine
- You can use bins without ashtrays, extinguish the cigarette first, and then place it in the bin
- If a littering case goes to court, an offender risks receiving a fine of up to £2,500