Sussex Police said between 30,000 and 40,000 people attended the Lewes Bonfire celebrations.
Crowds were believed to be small for a Saturday. Numbers are usually counted through the train station, however the strike meant there were no trains into Lewes after midday.
Chief Superintendent Neil Honnor said: "This event takes months of preparation, planning and working with our fellow emergency services and partners, as well as the bonfire societies. Our aim is always to provide a safe environment for both participants and spectators.
"Lewes was busy as it always is for bonfire night and I am very grateful to all those who worked hard during the evening to ensure that everyone had a safe and enjoyable evening.”
South East Coast Ambulance Service and St John Ambulance treated around 81 people for injuries, most relatively minor.
By 1.30am police had made a total of two arrests for possession of a knife and affray. A number of people given tickets for throwing fireworks.
More top news
Eleven men died in the crash in August 2015.
The hospital had previously been told it required improvement.
Philippa has Wednesday's weather for the east