Fire and rescue warn people to clean their chimneys

Failing to clean your chimney can cause a fire Credit: ITV news

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service are calling on people to get their chimneys swept.

Open fires may be a warm and welcome addition to the home but they do carry risks. Last month there were 15 chimney fires in Wiltshire and 17 in Dorset, many of which could have been avoided.

Blocked chimneys can lead to a rise in carbon dioxide Credit: ITV news

As well as getting chimneys swept, local people are encouraged to fit smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

Blocked or defective chimney flues also carry the risk of leading to carbon monoxide poisoning, so it's vital that you employ a professional and qualified chimney sweep to ensure that your home is safe.

– Safe & Well Manager, Vikki Thomas