Mystery surrounds deaths of several cats

Police are warning pet owners in Tonbridge, Kent, to be vigilant following a number of deaths of cats in the area.

At least four cats are reported to have died since 11 March, 2017 after appearing to have ingested a toxic substance. The cats were all from homes in the Lambs Bank area.

Owners are reminded not leave open containers of any hazardous or chemicals substances by their properties.

Sergeant Jo Mott said: "There is no evidence at this stage to suggest that these cats may have been deliberately poisoned. However, we would urge owners to be vigilant about what their animals are drinking."

The RSPCA has also been notified of the issue and confirmed there had also been anecdotal reports of several other cats dying in the same area over recent months.

We do not know for sure what is causing these deaths but it is concerning that there have been so many in such a short space of time. It seems likely that these deaths were caused by some kind of poisoning but we do not know from what, or whether it was deliberate or accidental.

In the meantime we would ask everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.

People should check their car radiators for leaks, too. Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical and can include one, or several of the following: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing.