Advertisement

Oh crumbs! Puppy gets its head stuck in biscuit jar

Buddy managed to be squeezed from the jar unharmed Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

A tiny dog bit off more than it could chew when it tried to raid the family’s biscuit jar.

Buddy, a Pug and Chihuahua cross-breed puppy, which are known as Chugs, stuck his head into the glass container to eat the remaining crumbs in the jar, but was unable to wriggle free.

After numerous failed attempts using fairy liquid to squeeze the pup's head from the jar, the owner from Southampton called upon Hampshire Fire and Rescue service to help.

Animal Rescue Tactical Adviser Anton Phillips attended the home in Wavell Road, Southampton, on 10th September at 1.31pm.

He said, “This was an unusual job and it was strange being able to see the animal’s doleful expression through the glass.

I was keen not to risk breaking the glass as this could have injured the animal."

Anton said he used manual manipulation to release the dog's head, pulling back the skin to release one ear at a time, before there was a pop, and Buddy was freed unharmed.

“I have dealt with a lot of animals over the years and I always say if they can get it in I can get it out.”

– Anton Phillips - Hampshire Fire and Rescue
Who's a naughty boy - Buddy was freed by the rescue team Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service