Games tube route reopened

The Central line tube service to the Olympic Park in Stratford in east London has reopened after being suspended for three hours due to a fire alert. Trains in and out of Liverpool Street were earlier affected by signal problems.

Live updates


  1. Simon Harris, Olympics Correspondent for London Tonight

Central line service to re-open at 9.30am

Central line passengers at Stratford station are being told the line will re-open at 9.30am following earlier fire alerts.

According to a police officer the train to West Ruislip has been advertised that it will arrive in "4 mins" for more than an hour.

For more on this story visit ITV London.

The scene at Stratford station. Credit: @simonharrisitv/Twitter
The picture at Stratford station. Credit: @simonharrisitv/Twitter


Tube driver reports 'smelling smoke' on central line train to Olympic Park

A Transport for London spokesperson said:

The Central line is currently suspended between Woodford / Newbury Park and Liverpool Street in both directions due to a train being taken out of service at Leyton after the driver reported smelling smoke. This has been investigated and all passengers left the train and station without reported problems.

Our staff on the ground are advising Olympic spectators to use a range of other services to reach the venues at Stratford, including Hammersmith & City line services, which interchange with the DLR, and Greater Anglia rail services. Stratford is also accessible via Javellin, Jubilee line and London Overground. London Underground tickets are being accepted on local bus services and Greater Anglia.

Tube trains suspended at Olympic Park

A visitor makes her way from Stratford station to the Olympic Park. Credit: Stephen Pond/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Tube trains to the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London were suspended this morning.

Spectators travelling to Stratford on the Central line at around 7am were told all services were terminating at Liverpool Street due to an incident at Leyton.

A defective train westbound was awaiting the arrival of the London Fire Brigade, a train driver said. Station announcers at Bank said there were reports of a fire on board the train.

Load more updates Back to top