- 17 updates
The United States military have confirmed that the Wisconsin temple shooing suspect was discharged from the Army in 1998 for "patterns of misconduct" and was cited for being drunk on duty.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has spoken of his shock and sadness after the gun attack at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin in which six people were killed.
Mr Singh is himself a member of the Sikh faith.
In a statement he said:
Mr Singh said he hoped authorities would reach out to the victims' families and work to prevent the recurrence of such violent acts.
The Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee, the top Sikh religious body, said it will send a committee to meet Mr Singh and India's ambassador to the US to demand Sikhs be protected from future attacks.
At least seven people, including a gunman, have been reportedly killed in a shooting incident at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin. Daybreak's Sue Jameson reports.
- The Sikh faith is the fifth-largest in the world, with more than 30 million followers. It includes belief in one God and that the goal of life is to lead an exemplary existence.
- The temple in Oak Creek, south of Milwaukee, was founded in October 1997 and has a congregation of 350 to 400 people.
- There are an estimated 500,000 or more Sikhs in the United States.
- Since the attacks of September 11, 2001 by Islamist militants, Sikhs have sometimes been confused publicly with Muslims because of their turban headdress and beards.
- Members of the Milwaukee Sikh community complained to police and a state representative last year about an upturn in robberies and vandalism at Sikh-owned gas stations and stores.
President Barack Obama said he was "deeply saddened" and pledged his administration's commitment to fully investigate the shooting.
United States President Barack Obama has been told the situation at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin is "under control" after a shooting rampage there on Sunday and the killing by police of the lone gunman.
Security officials briefed Obama about the incident and he later called Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, Oak Creek Mayor Steve Scaffidi and the trustee of the Sikh temple, Charanjeet Singh, to express condolences for the lives lost, the White House said.
Latest ITV News reports
At least seven people, including a gunman, have been killed in a shooting at a Sikh temple in the US state of Wisconsin, police said.