Two killed in police chase

Two men have died in a collision in North London early this morning, after being chased by police, according to Scotland Yard.

Live updates

IPCC investigating police chase deaths

Scotland Yard has confirmed that the Independent Police Complaints Commission is to investigate the circumstances of a crash in London which resulted in the death of two men.

The men who were aged 33 and 38 were passengers in a car which collided with a van and a bridge in Haringey, London after it was pursued by police officers.

The driver of the Audi is been questioned on suspicion of possessing with intent to supply class A drugs.


Police statement on North London car chase deaths

The Metropolitan Police have issued a statement after two men died in a collision early this morning on the Seven Sisters road in North London.

Shortly before 0200hrs on Friday, 29 March, Islington officers on routine patrol in a police vehicle became suspicious of a car that appeared to make off at speed when passed in the opposite direction by police.

After several minutes searching for the Audi, the officers sighted it several hundred metres away and they sought to catch up.

The Audi was driven through a red light and a short time later it clipped a white van and subsequently collided with a bridge on Seven Sisters Road near to the junction with St Ann's Road in Haringey.

Two male passengers in the Audi, both believed to be aged in their late 20s or early 30s, were seriously injured.

Officers gave CPR prior to the arrival of ambulances, but both were pronounced dead at the scene. Enquiries continue to establish the identity of the two men.

Driver arrested at scene of deadly collision

The car collided with a bridge on Seven Sister Road near the junction with St Anne's Road in Haringey. Credit: Press Association

The driver of a car that collided with a van and crashed into bridge in Haringey, North London, after being chased by police, has been arrested.

The 30-year-old was apprehended after trying to make off on foot, according to police, but he was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified.

Police said the man was taken to hospital but his injuries are not believed to be serious.


Back to top