Cregan pleads guilty to murders

Dale Cregan has pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to the murders of father and son David and Mark Short.

Live updates

Dale Cregan remains on trial for attempted murder

Dale Cregan lured unarmed police constables Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, with a bogus emergency call before using a Glock handgun and a military grenade to kill them on September 18 last year.

Today, in a change to his plea at his trial at Preston Crown Court, 29-year-old Cregan admitted to the murders of father and son David and Mark Short.

Pc Fiona Bone (left), and Pc Nicola Hughes. Credit: Police Handout

The murder of David Short in August last year was done in a similar manner to that of the PCs, using the same gun and the same type of grenade.

In May, Cregan had gunned down Mark Short as he played pool in the Cotton Tree pub in Droylsden.

Cregan's barrister, Simon Csoka QC, began the day by asking six of the seven remaining counts to be put to his client.Cregan, wearing a grey Adidas top, then stood up and calmly answered "guilty" to murdering Mark Short and David Short.

He also pleaded guilty to the attempted murders of John Collins, Ryan Pridding and Michael Belcher, who were all in the Cotton Tree at the time on the evening of May 25 last year.

He also admitted causing an explosion at a property in Luke Road, Droylsden, on August 10, shortly after the murder of David Short.The jury foreman was then invited by trial judge Mr Justice Holroyde to formally return guilty verdicts on those counts.

The judge then told the jurors that the defendant remained on trial for the single allegation remaining against him - that he attempted to murder Sharon Hark at her home in Luke Road.

Cregan admits murder after gun and grenade attacks

One-eyed police killer Dale Cregan has admitted to the murders of a father and son.

Cregan, 29, had already admitted murdering two policewomen in Hattersley, Greater, Manchester, last September, when he changed his pleas in the second week of his trial at Preston Crown Court.

David Short (left) and his son Mark Short. Credit: Police Handout

His trial continued as he maintained he had not gunned down Mark Short, 23, in a pub in Droylsden and that he had not killed David Short, 46, in a gun and grenade attack at his home in Clayton.

Dale Cregan has admitted to the murders of David and Mark Short. Cregan had previously admitted to the murder of two PCs.

Today on the eve of his barrister's closing speech to the jury he changed his pleas to those allegations and stood up in the dock and admitted his guilt.

He also admitted causing an explosion with a hand-grenade at an address in Droylsden but denies attempting to murder the householder.


Back to top