- 29 updates
- Pocket-Lint founder Stuart Miles says Apple is "continuing to play it safe" with the 5S but thought the "much faster" processor would "instantly make a difference in games."
- Rick Broida at CNet pulls no punches in his review of the "most disappointing iPhone update yet", saying the improved processor would make no difference battery life was still very much lacking.
Apple's budget new handset, the iPhone 5C, could be the device to finally compete with the range of cheaper Android devices that have gained significantly in popularity over the past few years.
Ernest Doku, of comparison uSwitch.com, also hailed the advanced model, adding theApple's "rock-bottom" pricing injected a "modicum of surpass" into its latest announcements.
The price of the new iPhone 5S is likely to be much higher in the UK. Here are the suggested retail prices without a contract:
- 16GB - £549
- 32GB - £629
- 64GB - £709
The inclusion of a fingerprint reader in Apple's new iPhone 5S could encourage thieves to mutilate owners in order to gain access to their phones, a security expert has warned.
Marc Rogers of mobile security firm Lookout said thieves "have worked out that you can force a victim to unlock a secured device" and have even been known to cut people's fingers off.
They have also succeeding in lifting and duplicating prints with technology that "is only going to improve with time", he added.
Here are the main features of Apple's newly-unveiled iPhone 5S:
- Similar slim handset to iPhone 5 but available in gold, black and "space grey"
- Prices start at £126 ($199) for the 16GB model, rising to £254 ($399)
- Features fingerprint recognition system called 'Touch ID' instead of passcode
- Improved camera captures video at 120 frames per second
- Longer battery life including 250 hours of standby life
- Able to monitor user's motion data to enhance health and fitness apps
Here are the main features of Apple's newly-launched iPhone 5C:
- Prices start at £63 ($99) for the 16GB model rising to £126 ($199)
- Available in five colours: Green, white, blue, pink and yellow
- 8 megapixel camera and photo filters
- Smooth case with no visible seams and four-inch retina display
Customers will be able to buy both the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C from 20 September 2013, but can pre-order the latter a week earlier.
Both models will launch at the same time, but it was not clear when they will be available in the UK.
The iPhone 5S will be available in three price categories with a contract:
- 16GB - £126 ($199)
- 32GB - £190 ($299)
- 64GB - £254 ($399)
The camera on the new iPhone 5S captures video at a rate of 120 frames per second and can also take photos in "bursts," Apple says.
Latest ITV News reports
Apple has unveiled an eagerly-anticipated upgrade to its iPhone 5 and a more affordable model aimed at competing with cheaper smart phones.