Turkey: 'Mining execs detained' after disaster kills hundreds

Turkish police have detained 19 people, including mining company executives, as part of an investigation into the Soma mining disaster, Reuters have reported citing Turkish media.

Live updates

Three remanded in custody after Turkish mine disaster

Three suspects out out of 25 people who were detained in Turkey after the Soma mine disaster have been remanded in custody, said a Turkish prosecutor.

Prosecutor Bekir Sahiner told reporters an initial report on the possible causes of the accident, in which 301 people died, indicated that the fire could have been triggered by coal heating up after it came into contact with the air.

Police 'detain 19' in connection with Turkey mine probe

Turkish police detained 19 people, including mining company executives and personnel, as an investigation into last week's mine disaster got underway and the last of the 301 victims were buried today.

It was reported earlier that 18 people had been held, however, the governor of Manisa province Abdurrahman Savas has since clarified the number. According to Reuters, they have been detained on suspicion of neglect and "causing multiple deaths".


Police use water cannon on Turkey mine protesters

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in Istanbul to demonstrate against Turkey's worst mining disaster in Soma that killed 301 people.

Riot police used water cannon to disperse the crowd and detained several protesters. Tuesday's disaster triggered angry protests across the country, aimed at mine owners accused of ignoring safety regulations.

Turkish mine search ending as death toll passes 300

Rescue workers began winding up their operations on Saturday after finding the bodies of two more miners, believed to be the last remaining in the mine, bringing the death toll in Turkey's worst industrial disaster to 301, the country's energy minister said.

Earlier a new fire broke out in the mine, hindering the rescue teams. Taner Yildiz said it had been extinguished and two more dead workers found. He said the numbers added up with the missing persons' information provided by families.

Turkish mine toll nears 300 as fire halts recovery bid

Demonstrators light candles in memory of the mine victims during a sit-in protest in Istanbul. Credit: Reuters

A fire broke out on Saturday in part of a mine where nearly 300 miners were killed in Turkey's worst ever industrial disaster, hindering efforts to find up to three remaining workers believed to be still underground, the country's energy minister has said.

Taner Yildiz told reporters the bodies of 15 miners were retrieved overnight, bringing the death to 299, and as many as three workers were still in the mine.

They were unlikely to be alive, four days after an initial fire sent deadly carbon monoxide coursing through the mine.


Turkish mine operators deny negligence amid unrest

The operators of a Turkish mine where 284 workers died in an explosion have denied negligence for the collapse as a former safety worker told ITV News he quit his job because his warnings had been ignored.

Friday prayers in the mining town of Soma honoured those who had lost their lives but the grief was followed by protests involving thousands.

The dissent led to a crackdown by the police, who fired tear gas and water cannons to break up the angered crowds.

Safety fear emerges amid unrest in Turkish mining town

A former safety worker at the Turkish mine where 284 people were killed in a mining disaster has told ITV News he quit his job because his safety warnings were being ignored.

Eyip Can spoke out amid growing unrest which saw tear gas and water cannons used to disperse thousands of protesters who had taken to the mining town's streets to condemn mine owners and the government following the disaster.

Anger at Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan intensified with footage emerging of him apparently slapping a protester during his visit to the mine following Tuesday's fatal explosion.

ITV News Correspondent Dan Rivers reports from Soma:

Ex-safety worker at Turkish mine feared major accident

Eyip Can worked at the mine in the western Turkish town of Soma. Credit: ITV News/Dan Rivers

A former safety worker at the Turkish mine where 284 miners were killed has told ITV News he left his job because of concerns there would be a major accident at the site.

Eyip Can, 33, said safety had deteriorated recently and he foresaw accidents happening at the mine after four deaths in six years.

Mr Can said a tunnel that was closed after methane was discovered in it had reopened after he left. He said he believes methane may have caused Tuesday's fatal explosion.

The mine operator earlier said the cause of the accident was still not known but said there was no negligence on the part of the company.

Turkey's ruling party said the mine had been inspected 11 times since 2009.

Tear gas fired against Turkish mine protesters in Soma

Police have fired water cannon and tear gas to disperse a crowd of several thousand protesters in the Turkish town where 284 people were killed in a mining disaster.

A Reuters witness said people scattered into side streets as police moved in after a stand-off on a shopping street in Soma, which also included the offices of the local government and labour union.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports