- 8 updates
The General Medical Council have said they are looking into the conduct of Doctor Paul Miller, the urologist who was dismissed from the Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust over fears he may have mistreated cancer patients.
Legal action from some patients that he treated is also now expected as it was revealed today that affected patients may have suffered anything from treatment side effects to an increase in disease progression.
ITV News Correspondent Lewis Vaughan Jones reports:
Des Holden, the medical director of Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS, has explained to ITV News what possible risks the cancer patients treated by 'cancer scandal' doctor Paul Miller may have been exposed to.
He said affected patients may have suffered anything from treatment side effects to an increase in disease progression.
The Royal College of Surgeons has said it is continuing to monitor Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust following revelations that one of the trust's doctors may have been mistreated cancer patients.
The RCS reviewed the care of patients who had been treated for prostate and bladder cancer at East Surrey Hospital in April 2014 after consultant urologist Paul Miller was suspended.
A RCS spokeswoman said: "At the end of our visit we provided immediate feedback that confirmed serious patient safety concerns for the trust's medical director to address and that the surgeon should remain excluded from practice while the trust's investigations continued."
The medical director of the Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, whose consultant urologist Paul Miller was dismissed over fears he may have mistreated patients, has apologised to anyone who may have been affected.
Des Holden said: "On behalf of the trust, I apologise unreservedly for the errors in these patients' treatment. I acknowledge and appreciate that the outcome of the clinical review and the content of the letters will be deeply distressing to our patients and their families and I am very sorry."
The Medical Defence Union has released a statement on behalf of consultant urologist Paul Miller who was dismissed by Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust.
The trust has commissioned a review into the care of more than 1,000 of Mr Miller's former patients.
A private hospital in Surrey says it is "reviewing the notes" of any cancer patients treated by a former consultant urologist after he was dismissed.
Spire Gatwick Park Hospital suspended Paul Miller in December last year. This was only one of the hospitals where he worked.
1,200 cancer patients have been assessed over fears they may have been mistreated by a former consultant urologist, Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust has said.
All of the bladder and prostrate cancer patients were seen by consultant urologist Paul Miller between 2006 and 2012.
A review of their care by the Royal College of Surgeons found that 27 of the patients "came to harm" as a result of the treatment they received.
A small number of others received care that "fell below the standards we would expect" but were not harmed as a consequence, a statement said.
Mr Miller was dismissed from the Trust and has been banned from treating cancer patients pending an investigation by the General Medical Council.
- Concerned East Surrey Hospital patients can call a helpline on 0808 168 7754 Monday to Friday, between 11am and 7pm.
Latest ITV News reports
An investigation revealed 27 patients with prostate and bladder cancer 'came to harm' including five who later died.