- 36 updates
Labour MP John Mann said he was concerned that civil servants who dealt with a dossier related to child abuse at the time had not come forward to give evidence to NSPCC chief Peter Wanless, because they are forbidden to reveal information about it by the Official Secrets Act.
Mr Mann told BBC Radio 4's Today programme:
A review into how the Home Office handled historic child sex abuse allegations at Westminster in the 1980s has reportedly been unable to uncover any of the crucial missing files that prompted the investigation.
The BBC reports that the so-called 'Dickens Dossier', handed to the Home Office by former Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens, has not been found.
A source told the Newsnight programme: "They have looked inside and behind every single cupboard in the department, and they have been round them twice, and they have not been able to find any of them."
The Home Office has not commented on the reports but repeated that the review, led by NSPCC chief Peter Wanless, will be published next week.
Home Secretary Theresa May apologised today for the delays that have plagued the government's inquiry into historical sex abuse.
Since she announced it four months ago, two chairwomen have been appointed only to resign shortly afterwards. But today she vowed to get the next appointment right.
ITV News' Political Correspondent Carl Dinnen reports:
The independent inquiry into historic allegations of child sex abuse must be given more power, the Children's Society has said.
A review into how the Home Office dealt with an investigation into child sex abuse allegations between 1979 and 1999 will be published next week, Home Secretary Theresa May announced.
The probe led by NSPCC chief Peter Wanless looked at allegations that the Home Office failed to act on allegations contained in a dossier that former Tory MP Geoffrey Dickens passed to then Home Secretary Leon Brittan in 1983.
The review will be published as a wider inquiry into historical child sex abuse gets under way despite its chairwoman, Fiona Woolf, dramatically resigning on Friday following disclosures about her links to Lord Brittan.
The Home Secretary has apologised following the resignation last week of the second chairwoman of the inquiry into historical allegations of child sex abuse.
Thersea May said the first meeting of the panel would be held next Wednesday but told MPs it was "very disappointing" the probe still does not have someone in the top job four months after being created.
In a Commons statement following the dramatic resignation on Friday of Fiona Woolf, Mrs May told MPs that a report by NSPCC chief Peter Wanless, into the way the Home Office dealt with an investigation into child abuse allegations between 1979 and 1999, will be published next week.
In a statement to the House of Commons, the Home Secretary has told victims of historic child sex abuse that she is "determined to get to the truth."
ITV News Deputy Political Editor has tweeted:
The Home Secretary, Theresa May, has apologised following the resignation last week of the second chairwoman of the inquiry into historical allegations of child sex abuse.
The two previous chairs of an inquiry into child sex abuse both "had associations" with politicians accused of helping to cover up the abuse, a leading QC told Good Morning Britain.
Human rights lawyer Michael Mansfield, who is the victim's choice to head the inquiry, said the Home Office knew of Fiona Woolf's links to politicians accused of covering up horrific abuse before she was appointed.
A Liberal Democrat peer has said there were two prerequisites for the person appointed chairman or woman over an inquiry looking to historic cases of child sex abuse.
Ruling himself out, Lord Carlile told Sky News' Murnaghan programme:
Latest ITV News reports
As Fiona Woolf becomes the second person to quit as head of the Westminster sex abuse probe, here is what you need to know about it so far.
The chair of an inquiry into an alleged historical Westminster paedophile ring has been accused of 'editing' details of her impartiality.