- 9 updates
The arrest of a 14-year-old on suspicion of threats to kill his teachers led to police becoming aware of his involvement in an Australia terror plot.
The boy, who is now 15, has been sentenced to life with a minimum term of five years for plotting to an attack at an Anzac Day Parade.
Chief Constable Tim Jacques from Lancashire Police said: "At the time of his arrest in March 2015 the boy was subject to local safeguarding arrangements. Concerns were shared with us by partners and this led ultimately to the disruption of this evil plan".
“We remain committed to preventing vulnerable people being drawn into terrorist related activity. We will work closely with communities and our partners to address any form of extremism”.
The family of a 15-year-old sentenced to life for plotting to behead police officers in Australia have said they were "shocked and devastated" by his arrest.
A statement, read by a lawyer on behalf of the family, said they had been "completely unaware of his activities" and are relieved that no-one was injured.
A 15-year-old British boy exchanged more than 3,000 messages with an alleged Australian jihadist in relation to an Anzac Day terror plot.
The teenager, whose identity has not been revealed, and 18-year-old Sevdet Besim's discussions included targets, weapons of choice, and method of killing.
They then settled on the plan that "police officers should be murdered by beheading".
In one exchange, Besim messaged the then 14-year-old: "So far the plan is to run a cop over on the anzac parade & then continue to kill a cop then take ghanimah and run to shahadah?"
The boy from Blackburn in Lancashire, then responded: "ill give orders soon but its looking along that line."
He has been sentenced to life with a minimum term of five years after admitting to inciting terrorism overseas in July.
A 15-year-old, who has been sentenced to at least five years for his involvement in plotting an Anzac Day terror attack in Australia, took on the role of "organiser and adviser", a court heard.
The teenager from Blackburn, who was 14 at the time, exchanged more than 3,000 messages with alleged Australian jihadist 18-year-old Sevdet Besim after he became radicalised by online Islamic State propaganda.
The plot was said to be in its "late stages" when authorities in Britain and Australia intervened and Besim was arrested in possession of a knife a week before the annual war remembrance event.
A 15-year-old boy who plotted an Anzac Day terror attack in Australia must serve at least five years in custody after being detained for life.
The teenager from Blackburn, who was 14 at the time of his arrest, had pleaded guilty to inciting terrorism by encouraging the murder of police officers during a WW1 parade.
He had plotted the attack with 18-year-old Sevdet Besim in Australia, making him Britain's youngest terrorist.
A barrister, representing a British teenager who is due to be sentenced for his involvement in a terror plot targeting Australia, has questioned the prosecution's argument that he was a driving force behind the plan.
James Pickup QC, said the 14-year-old, who is now 15, had been communicating with an 18-year-old Australian who was already radicalised and fully aware of jihadist ideology.
Mr Pickup said the teenager had made considerable progress at the specialist unit where he is being held.
He told the judge: "He accepts his crimes were barbaric, immoral and wholly wrong."
The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty in July to inciting terrorism overseas. He will be sentenced on Friday.
During the two-day sentencing hearing of British teenager, who has admitted involvement in a terror plot in Australia, the court heard he had wanted to travel to Syria.
The 15-year-old, from Lancashire, told a woman from the United States, who described herself as a terrorist, that he supported Isis and wanted to travel to Syria.
Prosecutor Paul Greaney told the court he had also encouraged the woman to let her children conduct martyrdom operations when they are older, stating: "Let ur kids grow! Lols ... And then booooom".
He also made contact with a person to ask them to make arrangements for a 15-year-old girl to travel to Turkey, with a view to travel on to Syria.
Latest ITV News reports
A 15-year-old has been given a life sentence over a "shocking" plot to behead police officers at an Anzac Day Parade in Australia in April.
A boy's plot to attack Anzac Day celebrations in Australia would "in all probability" resulted in a number of deaths, a court has heard.