- 10 updates
Talks aimed at resolving the Southern Railway dispute have ended without agreement, the company said.
On Wednesday the train drivers' union Aslef said that "progress had been made" in talks but that Friday's strike would still go ahead.
It will be the third day of strike action this week, after members walked out on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Aslef is opposed to driver-only trains, citing safety concerns as passenger numbers grow, and warning that in-cab monitors, allowing them to check when it is safe to close doors, do not always work.
Nick Brown, chief operating officer of Southern's owners Govia Thameslink Railway, said: "We're deeply disappointed, as our passengers will be, that Aslef has been unable to accept our proposals and we cannot find a way forward to end this dispute with the drivers' union at this stage.
"We're sincerely sorry that commuters' work and family lives are being punished with this unjustified and unprecedented industrial action."
Drivers' union Aslef said that "progress had been made" in talks aimed at resolving the Southern Railway dispute but Friday's strike will still go ahead.
Talks between Southern and the union have been adjourned until tomorrow.
Transport union leader Mick Cash has been barred from taking part in peace talks on the Southern Railway dispute at Acas.
The Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union leader had been due to join talks with officials from Southern to seek a resolution in a bitter dispute over driver-only trains.
Mr Cash said that the company had "refused" him access to the talks, which also involved the Aslef union. He branded their behaviour as "absolutely disgraceful" and "counter-productive" today.
Southern's parent company earlier today said that they had offered to meet Mr Cash "later today" over the dispute.
A planned strike went ahead despite the talks, with another 24-hour stoppage planned on Friday, and a week-long walkout planned in the new year.
Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has refused to rule out taking action to prevent future stoppages like the one which brought all Southern Railway services to a halt.
- Video report by ITV News correspondent Paul Davies
Talks will be held tomorrow in a bid to try and resolve the Southern Railway drivers' dispute.
It comes after the first day of 48-hour walkout by members of Aslef left 300,000 people with no way of getting to work.
Tomorrow's strike is still set to go ahead, as well as another 24-hour stoppage on Friday.
A single mother who fears she will lose her job because of delays commuting to work during the Southern rail strike has written an emotional message to her local MP.
Jenny Lehane said she was writing the email with "tears streaming down my face", as she pleaded with the government to "do anything" to stop the industrial action.
In the message, also posted on the ITV News Facebook page, Ms Lehane said she had been forced to get her six-year-old son out of bed at 5.30am to take him to school on "another three hour journey".
She said: "Do you have any idea of the stress, worry and upset this is causing. I HAVE to go to work. I am a single parent and my 6 year old needs his mother to work to keep a roof over our heads.
"A message from me to all involved: hang your heads in shame!"
Latest ITV News reports
Southern Railway services will be at a standstill again on Friday after talks over driver-only trains collapsed.
Talks aimed at resolving the Southern Railway drivers' dispute will be held at the conciliation service Acas.