St Petersburg metro suspect believed to have 'radical Islamist' links

The main suspect in the St Petersburg metro explosion which killed at least 14 people is believed to have had 'radical Islamist' links.

  • The main suspect, from Central Asia, is thought to have been a suicide bomber who had links with radical Islamists
  • Security services have identified him as a Kyrgyzstan-born Russian citizen
  • President Putin says all causes are being considered, including terrorism
  • The UN Security Council has called it a 'barbaric and cowardly terrorist attack'
  • The blast took place between Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Institut underground stations
  • It is believed the explosive device was hidden inside a backpack and carried on the train by a 23-year-old man
  • Russia's Anti-Terrorism Committee said they found and deactivated a bomb - rigged with shrapnel - at another station
  • The same suspect is believed to have planted it
  • The metro system in St Petersburg was evacuated and shut down

Live updates

Russia authorities 'identify suspected bomber'

Police cordon off Sadovaya Square in St Petersburg shortly after the blast. Credit: AP

Authorities in Russia have initially identified the suspect behind the St Petersburg metro blast.

They believe a young person, believed to a 23-year-old man from Central Asia and linked with radical Islamists, was a suicide bomber and carried an explosive device onto the train in a rucksack.

Police believe the same man, not a second suspect, planted a bomb at another subway station that was defused before it went off.

Advertisement

Russia PM: St Petersburg blast was terrorist attack

Dmitry Medvedev, photographed earlier this year. Credit: AP

Russia Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has described the blast on the St Petersburg metro station as a "terrorist attack".

In a post on his twitter account, Mr Medvedev sent his "most sincere condolences to the families and relatives of the victims of the explosion" and said the injured would be given "all necessary assistance".

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Advertisement

Paris officials increase security following St Petersburg blast

Police officers stand on patrol at a Paris metro station earlier this year. Credit: AP

Officials in Paris have increased security at public transport locations "as a precautionary measure" following the explosion in a St Petersburg underground tunnel on Monday.

In a statement, the interior ministry said: "Following the events in the St. Petersburg metro, and as a precautionary measure, Interior Minister Matthias Fekl has decided to redeploy security means in public transport across the Paris region.

"Amid an extremely high terrorism threat, the government continues to take measures to protect the French people."

St Petersburg metro blast: 'Device hidden in suitcase'

Emergency services gather outside Tekhnologichesky Institut metro station. Credit: PA

The explosion on the St Petersburg metro system may have been caused by a device hidden inside a suitcase, according to Interfax News Agency.

The agency, quoting unnamed sources, also said surveillance cameras had captured images of what they said were the organisers of the explosion.

In a public address, St Petersburg Governor Georgy Poltavchenko appealed for the "citizens of St. Petersburg and guests of our city to be alert, attentive and cautious and to behave in a responsible matter in light of events."

At least nine killed and 20 injured in metro blast

An image taken from video footage filmed at Technological Institute metro station. Credit: AP

At least nine people are believed to have been killed and 20 injured after an explosion in St Petersburg, according to Russia security officials.

Russia's National Anti-Terrorist Committee also confirmed the blast occurred between the Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Institut metro stations in the city.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports