Manchester bomber: Police appeal to find suitcase as station reopens

Manchester Victoria railway station has reopened a week after the suicide bombing which killed 22 people and left more than 100 injured.

The reopening of the station comes just hours after a vigil was held in Manchester city centre for the victims of the attack, and a day after police appealed for information about a blue suitcase bomber Salman Abedi was carrying on the day of the attack.

Here is the latest on the investigation:

  • 14 men are in custody in connection with the bombing, which killed 22 people
  • Detectives have also been searching a landfill site in Bury in connection with the attack
  • MI5 has launched two inquiries into 'missed warnings' over the Manchester bomber
  • Of the more than 100 injured, 50 remain in hospital
  • The UK's terror threat has now been reduced from critical to severe

Live updates

Ariana Grande vows to return for Manchester gig

Ariande Grande said there's not a day that goes by she doesn't think of victims. Credit: PA

Pop star Ariana Grande has vowed to return to Manchester for a fundraising show in honour of the families of victims killed in a bomb at show on Monday.

In a statement on Twitter, the singer said a number of other musicians had been in touch to offer their services for the concert, and details would be announced as soon as it is confirmed.

The bomb which killed 22 people went off at the end of her gig at Manchester Arena on Monday night.

The singer, who postponed the rest of her world tour in the wake of the tragedy, said she would think of the victims "with everything I do for the rest of my life".

Ariana pictured with Georgina Callander who sadly died in the attack. Credit: Instagram

She said she had been thinking of her fans "non-stop over the past week".

"The way you have handled all of this has been inspiring and made me more proud than you'll ever know.

"We will never understand why events like this take place because it is not in our nature, which is why we shouldn't recoil.

"We will not quit or operate in fear. We won't let this divide us. We won't let hate win."

Credit: Ariana Grande

Grande apologised to fan saying she she felt "broken" after the attack on May 22.

The 23-year-old said: "From the bottom of my heart, I am so, so sorry. I don't have words."

Advertisement

Hate crime surge in wake of Manchester bomb attack

A total of 56 hate crimes were recorded in Greater Manchester on Wednesday, police have said.

It comes in the wake of a suicide bomb attack on an Ariana Grande concert which killed 22 people and left dozens more seriously injured.

The figure marks a huge increase on last year, when 187 such crimes were reported in the whole of May 2016.

Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins urged people to report any such incident, and said he had been inspired by the "determination, compassion and solidarity" shown by the vast majority of people in the city.

But, he warned: "We will not tolerate hate crime here in Manchester."

Manchester has come together this week and it is important we continue to stand together, particularly in relation to hate filled views that have no place in Greater Manchester.

Sadly, we have seen an increase in reports of hate incidents from 28 on Monday, which is what we receive on an average day, to 56 on Wednesday this week. We can’t directly link these to the events of Monday night and are continuing to monitor the situation.

I have sent a personal message out to all the faith leaders and places of worship today and have thanked them for the support they have shown and stressed that hate crime will not be tolerated.

– Ian Hopkins, GMP chief constable

Investigations continue after pizzeria in St Helens raided

A pizzeria has been raided in St Helens Credit: ITV News

Police investigating the terror blast at the Manchester Arena say they've carried out searches at an address in the St Helens area of Merseyside.

Officer say it's part of their fast moving investigation and keeping an open mind at this stage.

Greater Manchester Police say ten people in total have been arrested in connection with the investigation, of which a man and a woman have since been released without charge.

Eight men remain in custody for questioning.

Advertisement

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports