Images 'show Barcelona attack van driver moments after attack'

Images have emerged which purportedly show the man believed to be responsible for driving a van into pedestrians in Barcelona.

Released by El Pais newspaper, they claim to show Younes Abouyaaqoub in La Boqueria market seconds after the attack.

Other developments include:

  • The death toll from the attack has risen from 14 to 15
  • Police say the latest victim is a man found stabbed in a car two hours after the Las Ramblas atrocity
  • They believe the car was used by one of the attackers to flee the scene of the Barcelona attack
  • Among those killed in the twin vehicle attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils was seven-year-old dual British-Australian national Julian Cadman
  • Some 34 nationalities were among those wounded in the attacks

Live updates

Spanish police: key Barcelona terror suspect 'is dead'

Credit: Kiwi

The man thought to have rented the van that ploughed into pedestrians in Barcelona is believed to be dead, say Spanish civil guard sources.

But this has not been officially confirmed by local police who warn the suspect may still be at large.

Moussa Oukabir, who is thought to be 17 or 18 years old, is said to have been among the five suspected terrorists killed following the attack, according to a union official for Spain's Civil Guard

Oukabir was suspected of using his brother's documents to rent the van which ploughed through pedestrians in the popular Las Ramblas shopping area.

Mossos, Catalonia's police force, said it had identified those shot by police but did not confirm their names.

Advertisement

Hunt for vehicle rented by Barcelona suspects

Flowers, messages and candles form a memorial tribute to the victims of the Barcelona attack. Credit: AP Photo/Manu Fernandez

Spanish police are looking for a vehicle rented by suspects of the Barcelona attack after reports it may have crossed into France.

A French security official said Spanish police gave them the information about the car which was rented on Thursday in Spain.

French police are on the lookout nationwide for the car which is a Kangoo utlity vehicle and were also handed information by the Spanish authorities about four suspects believed to be on the run.

France's interior minister said his country has reinforced police surveillance of what is normally an open border between the two countries.

Single officer shot dead four Spain terror attackers

Armed police seen on watch in Cambrils on Friday. Credit: AP

Four of the five suspected terrorists in the Cambrils attack were shot dead by the same police officer.

The group were all killed after ramming their car into a group of people in the Spanish coastal town on Friday morning.

Several pedestrians were injured, one who later died in hospital, just hours after a similar incident in Barcelona where 13 people were left dead.

Catalonian authorities tweeted that the same police officer had shot dead four of the five Cambrils attackers.

Footage of the assailants lying dead on the ground showed they had been wearing fake suicide belts.

Queen condemns 'deeply upsetting' attacks in Spain message

King Felipe visited the UK last month. Credit: PA

The Queen has sent her condolences to the King of Spain in the wake of the country's two terror attacks.

Her Majesty described events in Barcelona and Cambrils, where 14 people were killed, as "deeply upsetting".

In her message to King Felipe, the Queen said: "It is deeply upsetting when innocent people are put at risk in this way when going about their daily lives.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost loved ones and the people who are recovering in hospital."

The Spanish royal, who made a state visit to the UK last month, joined thousands of people in Barcelona for a minute's silence on Friday.

Advertisement

Spain attack suspects 'had no background in terror'

Police have four suspects in custody Credit: PA

None of the four suspects detained in connection with the Spain attacks had a background in terrorism, a senior Spanish police official has said.

The detained men are three Moroccans and a Spaniard.

A manhunt for the driver of the van in the Barcelona attack is still under way. He has still not been identified, police say.

Fourth person arrested over Spain attacks

Police have arrested four people in connection with the attacks Credit: PA

A fourth person has been arrested in connection with the terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, Spanish police have said.

It was not immediately clear if the person arrested was the driver of the vehicle that ploughed into pedestrians in Barcelona.

The announcement came after the death toll from the attacks rose to 14 people.

Spain terror attacks: Death toll rises to 14

The death toll from the Spanish terror attacks has risen to 14. Credit: PA

A woman seriously injured in the terror attack in the Spanish town of Cambrils has died, authorities have announced.

This brought the total death toll from two vehicle rampages in Cambrils and Barcelona to 14.

Thirteen people were killed after a van struck people as they walked along Las Ramblas, the heart of Barcelona's tourist district, on Thursday evening.

A second attack involving a car driving at pedestrians in Cambrils on Friday morning injured seven people, including a police officer.

Five attackers were shot dead by police.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports