Live updates

Advertisement

Murray to return from injury at Queen's

Credit: PA

Andy Murray will step up his recovery from injury in the first round of the doubles at Queen's Club against number one seeds Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah.

The 32-year-old will return to the court for the first time since undergoing hip surgery in January alongside doubles partner Feliciano Lopez at the Fever-Tree Championships.

British number one Kyle Edmund will face top seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in the first round of the men's singles, while fellow Briton Dan Evans faces a tough task against Stan Wawrinka.

Kevin Anderson, seeded second, will make his return to competitive action after being sidelined since March against another home favourite in Cameron Norrie.

Elsewhere, defending champion Marin Cilic opens his campaign against Cristian Garin while Juan Martin Del Potro faces Denis Shapovalov in round one.

Queen's club wait on Andy Murray availability

Murray is a five-time winner of the Queen's Club title. Credit: PA

The Queen's Club has reserved Andy Murray a wild card entry for the 2019 Fever-Tree Championships, tournament organisers announced on Tuesday.

The 31-year-old is recovering from hip surgery and has yet to set a date for a potential return, having last played competitively at the Australian Open in January.

The Fever-Tree Championships run from June 17 to 23, so could offer Murray a chance of some grass-court action ahead of Wimbledon should he feel fit enough.

Murray had the hip resurfacing operation in London in January and says he is now pain free, although he has only been hitting balls from a stationary position so far.

The Scot could also yet use a protected ranking to enter Wimbledon, who have set an official deadline of June 18 to apply for a wild card for this year's championships.

A statement from the Fever-Tree Championships read: "A wild card is being held in reserve for Murray, who will let tournament director Stephen Farrow know nearer the time of the event if he is fit enough to take it."

Murray said before the Australian Open that he planned to retire after this summer's Wimbledon, but also revealed that the tournament in Melbourne could prove to be his last event.

British number one Kyle Edmund and compatriot Cameron Norrie, meanwhile, have both been confirmed on the final entry list at Queen's, which will have plenty of interest in the 32-strong draw from the top ATP Tour players.

Last year's Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson and world number eight Juan Martin Del Potro are set to play, along with defending champion Marin Cilic, Nick Kyrgios, Stan Wawrinka, Grigor Dimitrov, Milos Raonic, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Australian Open semi-finalist Lucas Pouille.

Tournament director Stephen Farrow said: "This year's Fever-Tree Championships player field is full of stars of the present and the future.

"We are delighted to see top-10 players Kevin Anderson and Juan Martin Del Potro join a line-up that already includes Grand Slam champions Marin Cilic and Stan Wawrinka, and a group of young players that we anticipate being stars of the sport for many years to come."

There will also be a doubles title at Queen's Club, along with the first grass-court wheelchair ranking tournament outside of Wimbledon and the inaugural Paul Hutchins Trophy, an 18-and-under match between Great Britain and the United States of America.

Advertisement

Murray steps up recovery from hip operation

Andy Murray has appeared to step up his recovery from a hip operation after sharing a video of him hitting a tennis ball Credit: PA

Andy Murray has appeared to step up his recovery from a hip operation after sharing a video of him hitting a tennis ball.

The three-time grand slam winner had a hip resurfacing operation in January as he attempts to overcome a problem that first surfaced in the summer of 2017.

And on Monday night, the 31-year-old shared a short clip on his Instagram Story of him hitting forehands and backhands against a wall, with the caption 'It's a start'.

Murray had a first operation in January 2018 and returned to action at Queen's Club last summer but played only six tournaments last season and was in pain throughout.

His last appearance came at the Australian Open, losing to Roberto Bautista Agut in a gruelling five-set match in the first round, but has said since his surgery that he would love to be able to play at Wimbledon in July.

Murray unsure of Tennis future after hip surgery

Credit: PA

Andy Murray is no longer in pain but remains unsure whether he will be able to play top-level tennis again.

The former world number one had his second hip operation five weeks ago as he bids to overcome a problem that first became a serious issue in the summer of 2017.

Speaking at Queen's Club while announcing a long-term partnership with British clothing brand Castore, Murray said: "I want to continue playing, I said that in Australia. The issue is I don't know whether it's possible."

Murray laid bare his struggles at a tearful press conference ahead of the Australian Open, announcing he was planning to retire after this summer's Wimbledon but that the Melbourne tournament may be the last of his career.

That may yet turn out to be the case but Murray will attempt to break new ground by returning to top-level singles action.

He said: "I'm a lot happier now than I was, certainly the last 12 months, because I have no pain in my hip now and I was in pain for a long time.

"The rehab is slow but it's been going pretty well. I just need to wait and see how things progress. If it's possible, I'd certainly love to compete again."

Load more updates