A winding-up petition brought against Bolton has been suspended after the club was placed into administration.
At a hearing on Wednesday, the Insolvency and Companies Court in London was told that administrators were appointed on May 13, leading Judge Sally Barber to formally suspend the petition.
No date was fixed for a further hearing.
Bolton chairman Ken Anderson withdrew funding for the club several weeks ago, while a proposed takeover from Laurence Bassini collapsed, forcing the club into administration after their relegation from the Championship had already been confirmed.
Players have not been paid since February, leading to them receiving support from the Professional Footballers' Association, while non-football staff are yet to receive their April salaries. A food bank has been set up at the club to help those affected.
On Tuesday, non-playing staff were told they would be paid this week but only from the date the club entered administration.
Bolton, who will start next season in League One with a 12-point deduction, still owe more than £1million to HMRC.
Bolton have announced the appointment of Paul Appleton and Asher Miller of David Rubin and Partners as the club's joint administrators.
Wanderers filed their notice of intention to appoint administrators last week after a recent winding-up order was adjourned at an Insolvency and Companies Court hearing in London.
"The decision was finally made for the appointments which it is hoped will ensure the continued existence of the club, one of the founding members of the Football League," read a club statement on their official website.
"It has got to the stage where the Trust could not sit back and allow the club to go into liquidation. Decisive action had to be taken and the Trust believes the decision is in the best interests of Bolton Wanderers."
Bolton chairman Ken Anderson has announced he will be forced to place the club in administration.
Wanderers had hoped to complete a takeover deal with Laurence Bassini, but the former Watford owner has failed to provide proof of funding, while the club will face a High Court winding-up order later on Wednesday.
"Mr Bassini, regrettably his continued time wasting and empty promises have caused a great deal of heartache and frustration for the staff and supporters alike and now leave the Eddie Davies Trust and I with little or no choice other than for one of us to place the businesses into administration, as any likelihood of finding any resolution (in) the High Court hearing (is) not possible," Anderson said in a statement on the club's official website.
"This had been a massive disappointment to me as I understand the serious implications administration will bring to the businesses. But I have been left with no alternative, as this course of action will preserve the football club and all of its proud history."
Brentford have announced their away fixture against Bolton will not be played and that they have been awarded three points.
The match, originally scheduled for last Saturday, was postponed as unpaid Bolton players went on strike, and then rearranged for next Tuesday.
But Brentford tweeted on Friday: "Our game against @OfficialBWFC will not be played and we have been awarded the three points on the basis of a 1-0 victory."
Bolton's Championship match at home to Brentford on Saturday was called off but some fans were refused refunds.Read the full story ›
Former Watford owner Laurence Bassini has agreed a deal to buy Bolton, subject to approval from the English Football League.
A statement from the Championship club read: "Bolton Wanderers Football Club are delighted to announce that a sale and purchase agreement has been signed which will see Ken Anderson's shareholding in Burnden Leisure Limited being sold to Mr Laurence Bassini.
"This agreement will give Laurence Bassini full control of Burnden Leisure Limited and of course both Bolton Wanderers Football Club and Whites Hotel.
"The change of ownership requires approval by the English Football League before the deal can be finalised. The financial terms of the transaction will remain private and confidential between the parties."
The Championship club owes debtors - including the taxman - more than £1.2 million.Read the full story ›
Bolton have been given two weeks to settle their debts and avoid a winding-up order, a High Court hearing in London has ruled.
The Sky Bet Championship club has won a reprieve with the hearing adjourned until April 3.
Bolton, issued with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue & Customs in February over an unpaid tax bill for £1.2million, faced administration or liquidation, but now have two weeks to find a buyer.
Barrister Hilary Stonefrost, representing Bolton, told the court the club has a potential buyer lined up who "already owns a major stake in a high-level football club".
She asked for a 14-day adjournment to give the club time to complete a sale and settle its debts.
Judge Clive Jones, sitting in the Insolvency and Companies Court in London, adjourned the case until April 3.
Bolton chairman Ken Anderson claims all club staff and the police will be paid in time for this weekend's home game against Millwall to go ahead.
The game at the University of Bolton Stadium is in doubt after the club failed to pay any staff their February wage. Part-time matchday staff, including safety stewards and turnstile operators, are considering not working on Saturday because of the issue.
"I have decided to continue to financially support the club until someone else comes in and have today told payroll to process the staff salaries and to pay any amounts due to the police and others to ensure that the Millwall fixture and future games go ahead," Anderson said in a statement.
The Sky Bet Championship club had been given just under 24 hours on Tuesday to assure Bolton Council that safety provisions would be in place during a meeting that was also attended by the emergency services and Greater Manchester Police, who are owed money by Bolton.
Wanderers, second bottom in the table and eight points from safety, have faced several winding-up petitions from HMRC in the past 16 months and are due back in the High Court again on March 20.
The club closed their training ground on Monday because of a lack of food and fuel and the players, most of whom had been given the day off, reported back for training on Tuesday.
Anderson, who said he hoped to complete the sale of the club this week, said: "I can now understand why (former owner) Ed Davies decided to stop financially supporting the businesses back in 2015 after losing circa £200million.
"I had to put a further £800,000 in to pay the salaries in January as I have done on many other occasions.
"Obviously, I am concerned, disappointed and deeply regret that I had to take the decision to delay paying the staff salaries on time last month, which is the first time this has happened during my ownership and apologise unreservedly to all the staff and sincerely thank them for their continued support and patience, but it is difficult to accept putting a further £1million into a club that does not want you there and worse still it is not safe to even go to the club."
The Bolton Wanderers defender announced his immediate departure from the sport.Read the full story ›