Live updates

Czech Republic forward Sural dies in minibus crash

Sural played for Turkish side Aytemiz Alanyaspor. Credit: PA

Czech Republic international Josef Sural has died aged 28 following a minibus crash involving a number of his team-mates from Turkish side Aytemiz Alanyaspor.

The forward and six of his team-mates from the Turkish top-flight club were travelling in a private minibus following Sunday's 1-1 draw in Kayserispor when the accident occurred.

The Football Association of the Czech Republic confirmed that Sural, who earned the last of his 20 caps for his country in the Nations League defeat to Ukraine in October last year, had died.

The governing body said on Twitter: "The Football Association of the Czech Republic has accepted with great grief the news that the representative striker Josef Sural died tragically in Turkey. We'll never forget you, Pepo!"

No other fatalities have been announced by Aytemiz.

Former Tottenham defender Steven Caulker, capped once by England, and ex-Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse represent Alanyaspor, though it is unknown if they were among the passengers.

Sural, who joined Alanyaspor from Slavia Prague in January, was an unused substitute for the stalemate at Kayserispor.

Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech was among the first to offer his condolences, writing on Twitter of his former international team-mate: "Sad news from this morning. Sincere condolences to the family and to all the loved ones. R.i.p."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Czech shooter 'had two guns and fired indiscriminately'

A gunman who killed eight people in a Czech restaurant had two guns and "opened fire indiscriminately", according to local news reports.

The scene is still cordoned off. Credit: EBU

The incident happened in the town of Uhersky Brod but the mayor has ruled out the possibility it was a terrorist attack.

A policeman stands guard at the restaurant where the attack took place. Credit: EBU

The gunman, who is also dead, is believed to be aged around 60 and mentally unstable.

Paramedics take away a body from the scene. Credit: EBU

Czech shooter thought to be local 'mentally unstable' man

The man who is thought to have shot dead eight people in a Czech restaurant was a 60-year-old local who may have been "mentally unstable", the town's mayor is reported to have said.

Patrik Kuncar, the mayor of the town where the incident took place, told Czech TV:

I have been conveyed information that it was a 60-year-old local man, probably mentally unstable.

– Patrik Kuncar, mayor of Uhersky Brod

Mr Kuncar also said he believed the incident was the "isolated act" of a lone shooter and that the man killed himself after the spree.

The shooter was reported to have been killed and several people were injured in the incident.

Minister: Suspect in Czech shooting 'also dead'

A man suspected of killing 8 people in a restaurant in the eastern town of Uhersky Brod has also been killed, Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec has said.

Reuters report that the minister told the agency CTK News that the "suspected shooter" was also dead, bringing the death toll from the incident to at least nine.

The town of Uhersky Brod is 300 km (180 miles) southeast of Prague.

Load more updates