Live updates

Advertisement

Wilder announces Luis Ortiz rematch

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder says he has agreed a rematch with Cuba's Luis Ortiz. Credit: PA

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder says he has agreed a rematch with Cuba's Luis Ortiz.

American Wilder beat Ortiz with a 10th-round knockout in March 2018.

"To all my fans, I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly. All my controversial fights Must get dealt with ASAP!!" the 33-year-old posted on Twitter.

Wilder has won 41 of his 42 fights, the other being a controversial draw with Britain's Tyson Fury in December.

He knocked out Dominic Breazeale in the first round earlier this month to retain his world title.

Wilder targets Joshua after brutal Breazeale knockout

Wilder knocked out Dominic Breazeale in round one. Credit: PA

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder set his sights on Anthony Joshua after defending his world title with a brutal first-round knockout of Dominic Breazeale in New York.

The American sent Breazeale crashing to the canvas with a steamroller right hand just two minutes and 17 seconds into the opener at the Barclays Center.

The devastating knockout extended the 33-year-old's unbeaten record to 41 wins and a draw from 42 bouts.

Wilder, who drew with Tyson Fury in his last fight in December, and unbeaten WBO, WBA and IBF champion Joshua have struggled to agree terms on a bout in the past.

But Wilder is adamant they will come face to face in the ring, telling Sky Sports: "It will happen. I believe in all my heart it will happen.

"I don't want this to be a (Lennox) Lewis and (Riddick) Bowe situation.

"The heavyweight division is so lit right now, it's so on fire now, and I have an obligation to give the fans what they want. I always say how we can try, but it is going to come back around.

"And the next time it does, the discussion, the deal that me and Joshua are trying to make, then I think something is going to get done.

"Like I tell people, I just want them to have patience, and comes patience comes time. Let us have moments and let us do what we do. When things go silent, that's when the magic happens."

Wilder also believes a rematch with Fury is on the cards.

Despite two knockdowns, many felt Fury had outboxed Wilder only for the fight to end in a controversial draw.

"The rematch will happen, like all these other fights will happen," he said. "The great thing is all these fights are in discussion. The big fights will happen."

Advertisement

Wilder ordered to fight Breazeale next

Credit: AP

Deontay Wilder has been ordered to defend his WBC heavyweight title against mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale.

With negotiations, also ordered by the WBC, for the rematch between Wilder and Tyson Fury ending without an agreement, Breazeale is almost certain to become his next challenger in New York on May 18.

Fury intends to face at least one lower-profile opponent - Press Association Sport understands on May 11 or in June - before potentially revisiting the rematch.

With IBF, WBA and WBO champion Anthony Joshua fighting Jarrell Miller in New York on June 1, the world's three leading heavyweights will again be separately engaged.

Though unsurprising, the development will also again frustrate Dillian Whyte who, after missing out on Joshua, had targeted both Wilder and Breazeale.

"WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder shall fulfil his mandatory obligations by fighting Dominic Breazeale next," the WBC wrote in a statement.

"This order constitutes the start of the free negotiations period for champion Wilder's mandatory defence of his title.

"If no agreement is reached between the camps, the WBC shall conduct a purse offer ceremony on April 4, 2019 at the WBC offices in Mexico City."

Breazeale, like Wilder aged 33, lost to Joshua in seven rounds for the IBF title in June 2016. Wilder did not win for the first time in 41 fights as a professional when drawing with Fury last December.

Joshua's team "begging" for fight according to Wilder

Credit: AP

Anthony Joshua's team are "begging" for a heavyweight unification fight, according to Deontay Wilder.

Joshua holds the IBF, WBO and WBA titles while Wilder just about held onto his WBC belt in a drawn fight with Tyson Fury earlier this month that turned into one of the bouts of the year.

The WBC has sanctioned a rematch, potentially pushing a clash between Joshua and Wilder further into the distance.

Wilder told Joe Rogan's podcast: "They're definitely begging now. He's trying to reach out, all of a sudden, his management trying to reach out to mine.

"But he could have had this opportunity. He had many opportunities. He could have fought Luis Ortiz, he could have fought me, he had a chance to fight Fury as well.

"People want to know who's the best now. Especially after seeing this Fury fight. I've been trying to show people who's the best. I always say I'm the best. I'll forever say I'm the best until I get defeated."

Wilder was controversially awarded a draw with Fury after a dramatic fight in Los Angeles, and the American expects the rematch to live up to its billing.

He said: "I still feel the excitement. It was amazing. I'm just ready for the rematch. If people were excited and enjoyed that one, just imagine the rematch. It's going to be amazing."

Load more updates