Gianni Infantino says spreading matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to neighbouring countries could help bring peace to the Middle East.Read the full story ›
Former Holland manager and striker Marco Van Basten has quit his role as FIFA's chief technical development officer, claiming he wants to spend more time with his family.
The 53-year-old, who enjoyed a glittering playing career with Ajax and AC Milan before moving into coaching, joined FIFA's technical team in 2016.
Van Basten was one of FIFA's key advocates for video assistant referees but he had less success with ideas for several radical changes to the game's laws. These included scrapping extra-time and offside, sin bins instead of yellow cards and ice hockey-style one-on-ones instead of penalties.
In a statement, Van Basten said: "After two good and interesting years I decided to put an end to my duty at FIFA, mainly to be able to spend more time with my family in Amsterdam.
"I learned a lot being in a position to influence this game from the other side. The World Cup in Russia with the introduction of VAR was a nice milestone."
FIFA's deputy general secretary Zvonimir Boban thanked Van Basten for his work in "reconnecting the institution with its technical community" and wished the Dutchman all the best for the future, which may include future projects with FIFA.
FIFA is set to publish the last piece of work that Van Basten oversaw, the technical report on tactics at the World Cup this summer, on Tuesday.
It's that time of year again as all eyes on world football turn to the virtual gameRead the full story ›
Luka Modric has been named FIFA's men's player of the year after beating off stiff competition from Cristiano Ronaldo and Mohamed SalahRead the full story ›
England captain Harry Kane has been shortlisted for the Fifa Men's Player 2018, along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.Read the full story ›
The team behind Morocco's bid for the 2026 World Cup are unhappy that U.S overseas territories are not prevented from voting on June 13thRead the full story ›
FIFA has confirmed it will formally discuss expanding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar from 32 to 48 teams.Read the full story ›
FIFA president Gianni Infantino is braced for controversy at the World Cup after the use of video assistant referees was approved last monthRead the full story ›
VAR will be used at this year's World Cup in Russia, FIFA has confirmed.Read the full story ›
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will ask their opponents and FIFA for permission to display the poppy on armbands during their games in the days before and on Remembrance Sunday.
Last month FIFA decided to de-politicise's the use of the poppy and therefore it could return for this month's international fixtures.
In a joint statement, the FA, FA of Wales, Irish FA and Scottish FA said they "welcome the clarification" on "what can and cannot be worn on players' shirts" which was issued by the game's law-making body the International Football Association Board last month.
"It was important that clarity was brought to this issue as it affects many football matches/competitions throughout the world and is particularly helpful in relation to remembrance and poppies," the four associations said.
"In any year when there are international matches in the week leading up to and including Remembrance Sunday, it is the intention of all four home nations to seek permission from the opposition team and FIFA to display the poppy on armbands."
England meet Germany at Wembley and Wales travel to Paris to play France in friendlies on Friday, November 10, before Northern Ireland go to Switzerland for their second leg on Remembrance Sunday, November 12.
Last year, all four home nations were fined by football's world governing body FIFA for ignoring a ban on players wearing slogans or symbols which are considered to be personal, political or religious.
FIFA's climbdown, however, means that is now unnecessary and none of the home nations paid its fine.