Manny Pacquiao believes a rematch against Floyd Mayweather in 2019 is "a big possibility".
The 39-year-old delivered a speech at the Oxford Union in which he said he is likely to take on two more fights before retiring, and that could mean a finale against his long-time rival, who beat him in Las Vegas in 2015.
Pacquiao will take on Adrien Broner in January, while Mayweather announced earlier on Monday his next challenge will be a bout with Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year's Eve - reversing his apparent retirement after he beat UFC star Conor McGregor last year to move to 50-0.
"There is a big possibility because Floyd is coming back into boxing," Pacquiao said in comments reported by Sky Sports.
"He is fighting in December and I am fighting in January. So a big possibility after that next year that we will discuss a re-match.
"My thinking is to have a re-match and to make a clear decision on who will win the fight because in the last fight that we had it wasn't clear who won the fight because he didn't throw a lot of punches and he won the fight.
"I had a shoulder injury...but this time, if this re-match happens there are no excuses, no alibis."
Mayweather will make a remarkable return to action in Japan on New Year's Eve when he takes on kickboxer and mixed martial artist Nasukawa.Read the full story ›
Floyd Mayweather has told UFC's Khabib Nurmagomedov to "come to my world" in challenging him to step into the boxing ring for a fightRead the full story ›
Floyd Mayweather accepted that Conor McGregor was better than he thought as he was made to work hard for his 10th-round stoppageRead the full story ›
Floyd Mayweather Jr stopped the Irishman in the 10th round in their so-called "superfight" in Las VegasRead the full story ›
Mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor has agreed a deal to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr in the boxing ring.Read the full story ›
A car linked to boxer Floyd Mayweather was gutted during an arson attack in Birmingham on Sunday morning.Read the full story ›
Amir Khan has insisted he would not be interested in fighting Floyd Mayweather if the American makes his expected return from retirement, even if he defeats Saul Alvarez to win the WBC middleweight title.
He challenges Mexico's defending champion 'Canelo' Alvarez on Saturday at Las Vegas' new T-Mobile Arena when he is such an underdog that victory would be among the greatest ever by a British fighter.
Mayweather has this week attracted significant attention since hinting at plans for a comeback and speaking of talks with American television networks CBS and Showtime, and if Khan were to hold a middleweight title where the 39 year old is yet to fight, the potential money involved would be likely to get Mayweather's attention.
"He messed me around a lot so I don't think I'd take that fight. He messed me around, so I'd probably treat him the same way," said Khan.
"Floyd's probably missing not having his picture on the MGM. He must see my picture and Canelo's picture and think, 'People have forgotten about me'. As soon as you say you're retired, we do forget about the people who say that.
"Mayweather's feeling that now, he's feeling like no one's talking about him, that he's old news, and maybe that's why he's trying to get everyone supporting him again by saying 'I want to make a comeback'.
"Whatever Mayweather says, let him say it."
The WBO has ceased to recognise Floyd Mayweather as its welterweight world champion after he failed to pay a mandatory sanction feeRead the full story ›
An injured Manny Pacquiao arrived back in the Philippines to a hero's welcome on Wednesday, the boxer still adamant he did enough to win his welterweight megabout against Floyd Mayweather Jr at the start of the month.
The 36-year-old southpaw was wearing a sling on his right arm following shoulder surgery on a torn rotator cuff suffered prior to his unanimous points decision loss to the American in the heavily hyped fight in Las Vegas on May 2.
Pacquiao, a world champion a eight different weight classes and regarded as one of the sport's great entertainers, was sued in a U.S. court last week by two people who felt defrauded by his failure to disclose the pre-bout injury.
The Filipino, smiling for photographers, told reporters at Manila Airport his focus was not on boxing for now.
"I haven't discussed with anyone about my next fight. My focus right now is my shoulder recovery and to make it 100 percent okay, and my focus is on my congress work and family," he said.