Live updates

FA to appeal against Mourinho decision

The Football Association is appealing the decision by an independent regulatory commission to clear Jose Mourinho of using foul language. Credit: PA

The Football Association is appealing the decision by an independent regulatory commission to clear Jose Mourinho of using foul language at the end of Manchester United's Premier League match against Newcastle.

After coming back to win 3-2 to a backdrop of intense scrutiny about the Portuguese's Old Trafford future, the 55-year-old manager was filmed in animated mood.

Footage showed Mourinho making comments in Portuguese, at one point looking into a camera, as he headed towards the tunnel after the final whistle on October 6, leading to an FA charge for using abusive, insulting or improper language.

The United boss was cleared of that charge by an independent regulatory commission at a hearing on October 31, but the FA has now confirmed it has appealed that decision.

A statement from the governing body read: "Having carefully considered the written reasons of the Independent Regulatory Commission relating to the case involving Jose Mourinho, the FA can confirm it is appealing the decision."

Advertisement

Man Utd boss Mourinho charged by FA for 'abusive language'

Mourinho had been expected to deliver immediate success to Manchester United upon his appointment. Credit: PA

Jose Mourinho has been charged by the Football Association over comments he made after Manchester United's Premier League victory against Newcastle on October 6.

The United manager spoke into a camera after his side came from behind to triumph 3-2 at Old Trafford.

The FA alleges Mourinho's language was "insulting and/or abusive and/or improper".

An FA spokesperson said: "Jose Mourinho has been charged following Manchester United's game against Newcastle United on October 6, 2018.

"It is alleged that his language at the end of the fixture, as captured by the broadcast footage, was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper. He has until 6pm on October 19, 2018 to respond to the charge."

Mourinho could potentially face a touchline ban if found guilty.

FA to investigate Mourinho over touchline comments

Mourinho's Man United recovered from two goals down against Newcastle. Credit: PA

The Football Association is to investigate comments made by Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho as he walked along the touchline after Saturday's 3-2 win over Newcastle, Press Association Sport understands.

Footage from Saturday shows Mourinho saying something - at one point while looking into a camera - as he headed towards the tunnel following the conclusion of the Premier League contest at Old Trafford.

The FA can issue a touchline ban if the language is found to be 'offensive, insulting or abusive'.

United secured victory thanks to a dramatic late fightback after going 2-0 down early on, with Juan Mata scoring in the 70th minute, Anthony Martial in the 76th and Alexis Sanchez in the 90th as their four-game winless streak in all competitions came to an end.

Ahead of the match, senior figures at the club strongly denied a report from the previous evening that Mourinho would be sacked over the weekend, regardless of the outcome of the game.

Mourinho also made a gesture with his right hand while speaking, pointing with his little finger.

The 55-year-old, who claimed after the match that he was the subject of a "manhunt", said when asked what the gesture means: "It is a finger. Smaller than the others, but it is a finger."

Nevin to join Southgate's England staff as part of FA's bid to increase the number of black and Asian coaches

Brighton coach Paul Nevin will join Gareth Southgate's England staff Credit: PA

Brighton coach Paul Nevin will join Gareth Southgate's England staff as part of the Football Association's bid to increase the number of black and Asian coaches in English football.

Nevin will work alongside Southgate for next month's matches against the United States and Croatia as part of a Football Association initiative to place BAME (Black, Asian, and minority ethnic) coaches in all England squads.

Former England defender Sol Campbell will work with Aidy Boothroyd's England Under-21s team in November, while Terry Connor, former assistant boss at Ipswich, will join Boothroyd's backroom team for this month's games with Andorra and Scotland.

"The FA can confirm a programme has been finalised to ensure BAME coaching placements across all England teams including the men's seniors and under-21s," the governing body has announced.

Advertisement

Load more updates