Live updates

Advertisement

Britain's Cameron Norrie progresses at French Open

British number three Cameron Norrie goes through Credit: PA

Cameron Norrie's meteoric rise continued at the French Open as he raced into the second round on his Roland Garros debut.

The 22-year-old British number three did not even bother watching the tournament this time last year, but he now faces the prospect of taking on French 15th seed Lucas Pouille on one of the Paris showcourts on Wednesday.

Norrie, who only played his first professional match on clay in February, was leading 6-1 2-0 when first-round opponent Peter Gojowczyk retired injured.

Nevertheless, Norrie had looked assured and in complete control before Gojowczyk, the world number 43 from Germany, called it quits.

"I didn't see it coming, not at all," said Norrie. "He was hitting the ball big and hitting well. It didn't look like anything was bothering him too much.

"But I think start of the second set on his serve and then a little bit on his movement, I wrong-footed him a couple times.

"I was playing great. I was serving really well. I think that that was the best tennis I have played in my life. I think I was in the zone and not making any unforced errors, being the one dictating play.

Advertisement

Nick Kyrgios withdraws from French Open due to injury

Australia's firebrand tennis star Nick Kyrgios won't play in the French Open Credit: PA

Controversial Australian Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the French Open through injury.

The fiery 23-year-old was seeded 21st at Roland Garros and was due to play fellow Australian Bernard Tomic in the first round.

However, Kyrgios has not played a singles match since April due an elbow injury and says he is not fit enough to return yet.

"Having consulted with my team and medical experts it is deemed too risky for me to step out and potentially play five sets on clay, especially as I have not played a singles match in nearly two months," he wrote on Twitter.

Injured Raonic withdraws from French Open

Raonic has struggled for form and fitness this season. Credit: PA

Canada's Milos Raonic has pulled out of the French Open due to injury.

The world number 28 was beaten by compatriot Denis Shapovalov in the last 16 of the Madrid Open earlier this month.

And Raonic's troubles with a knee injury have led him to withdraw from Roland Garros, which begins on May 27.

The 27-year-old wrote on Twitter: "It is with a heavy heart that I am withdrawing from @rolandgarros.

"I have many great memories there, but I know I need to continue working hard to put myself in the best position when I step out on the court.

"Thank you all for your support and see you soon on the grass."

Raonic reached the quarter-finals in 2014 and withdrew from the 2015 event following foot surgery.

Federer to miss French Open as he opts to skip clay season

Roger Federer will not compete in the French Open for the third year running. Credit: PA

Roger Federer will not compete in the French Open for the third year running after announcing he will skip the entire clay-court season.

The 36-year-old made the announcement after he was knocked out of the Miami Open by Thanasi Kokkinakis - a qualifier ranked 175 in the world.

Federer, who won at Roland Garros in 2009, also pulled out of the tournament in 2016 and again last year citing the need to avoid playing on clay in order to prolong his career.

When asked in his post-match press conference if he would discuss the clay-court season with his team following the loss, the Swiss said: "I've decided not to play."

Federer gave a curt response when asked to clarify whether he would also miss the French Open, adding: "Yes, that is what I said. Clay is the French (Open) as well."

Load more updates