Live updates


  1. London

'Great burden lifted' by payout for hospital glue mix up

Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children NHS Trust admitted liability for Maisha's injuries and repeated its apology for the shortcomings in her care.

We can't wind the clock back. We hope there are now systems and procedures in place to ensure such a tragic mistake cannot be made again.

While money can't restore what Maisha has lost, we are sure a great burden has been lifted from the family by coming to the settlement we have.

It is probably the most intensive cognitive rehabilitation we have ever seen by a family and we would wish to acknowledge everything they have done for Maisha and wish them well for the future.

– Neil Block, Solicitor


  1. London

'All girl's dreams broken' by hospital's glue mix-up

Speaking outside court today Maisha's father, from Ilford in Essex said:

We are sad and devastated by what happened to our daughter. Her life is ruined. All her dreams have been broken.

I hope that by bringing this case, lessons will have been learned to avoid this happening to other families.

We are grateful that agreement has been reached with Great Ormond Street to ensure that Maisha's care needs are met.

  1. London

Payout for girl whose brain was injected by mistake with glue

A girl whose brain was injected by mistake with glue at Great Ormond Street Hospital has been awarded millions of pounds in damages. Despite having a medical condition which meant her arteries and veins getting got tangled Maisha Najeeb was a healthy 10-year-old.

In June 2010 she went into hospital for treatment to block off bleeding blood vessels by injecting glue. A second injection of dye then checks the flow of blood around the brain.

Lawyers found there was no system in place for distinguishing between the syringes and they got mixed up. This meant the glue was wrongly injected into the artery to Maisha's brain. It caused catastrophic and permanent brain damage.

Transplant survivor reunites with doctors 25 years on

A woman who is celebrating 25 years of living with a heart and lung transplant has been reunited with some of the staff who looked after her as a teenager.

Tineke Dixon, 41, underwent surgery at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London in November 1988 when she was just 16.

Martin Elliott, Tineke Dixon, Marc de Leval, Mary Goodwin and Phil Rees meet at the Great Ormond Street Hospital. Credit: PA Wire

Doctors did not expect her Ms Dixon to live beyond her teenage years after two holes in her heart developed into a rare condition known as Eisenmenger syndrome which caused her lungs to start failing.

At the time of Tineke's operation, just a third of children receiving a lung or heart-lung transport were able to survive up to five years after the operation.

Tineke Dixon and Phil Rees, Consultant Transplant Cardiologist at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in 1988. Credit: PA Wire

However, Dixon defied the odds and survived the double transplant before going on to study medical physics at the university.

Dr Dixon said she still vividly remembers the "emotional time" and recalled meeting Princess Diana at the specialist hospital in 1988.

Load more updates