Live updates

Allegri to leave Juventus at end of the season

Massimiliano Allegri will leave his position as Juventus head coach at the end of the season, the Serie A club have announced. Credit: PA

Massimiliano Allegri will leave his position as Juventus head coach at the end of the season, the Serie A club have announced.

The 51-year-old has been in charge of the Turin club since joining from fellow Serie A heavyweights AC Milan in 2014 and he has won the league title in each of his five seasons in charge.

A club statement read: "Massimiliano Allegri will not be on the Juventus bench next season 2019/2020.

"The coach and the president, Andrea Agnelli, will meet together with the media at the press conference, which will be held tomorrow, Saturday, May 18, at 14 o'clock at the conference room Dell'allianz Stadium."

Advertisement

Juventus captain Chiellini backs Kean over celebration

Moise Kean celebrated his goal in front of the same fans who had been racially abusing him during the game Credit: PA

Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini insists team-mate Moise Kean did nothing wrong by celebrating a goal in the face of racist abuse from opposition fans during the win at Cagliari.

The 19-year-old was criticised by his manager Massimiliano Allegri and team-mate Leonardo Bonucci for the way he celebrated towards the end of a Serie A match during which he was subjected to persistent abuse, including monkey chants.

Kean stood next to the post, his arms spread wide, after netting in Juve's 2-0 win.

There has been widespread condemnation of the criticism of Kean's actions and Chiellini has also now leapt to the defence of the teenager.

"Moise is an asset to Italian football, a golden boy who is doing his best and he doesn't have to pretend to be something he's not," said the veteran defender on the Juventus website.

"I don't really remember what happened while I was on the pitch, but I've seen the pictures of Moise and he didn't do anything wrong.

"You have to think of him like people do (Nicolo) Zaniolo, (Federico) Chiesa, (Nicolo) Barella (who are all young Italy internationals)... as a positive representation of Italian football, because he deserves that status.

"The only thing he got wrong yesterday was the dive, which I'm sure he won't repeat, but he's here to learn. He's a very positive person and certainly didn't deserve the insults he received."

Advertisement

Juventus confirm Ronaldo thigh injury

Credit: PA

Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo suffered a minor thigh injury while on international duty but should not be at risk of missing next month's Champions League quarter-final meeting with Ajax.

The 34-year-old was withdrawn hurt after 30 minutes of Portugal's Euro 2020 qualifying match against Serbia on Monday, which ended as a 1-1 draw.

A statement from Juve on Tuesday said: "Cristiano Ronaldo underwent tests in Portugal that revealed a minor injury to his right thigh flexors.

"He will be monitored and subjected to further tests to establish when he can return to competitive action."

The Bianconeri face Empoli when the Serie A season resumes on Saturday, with games against Cagliari and AC Milan taking place in early April before a trip to Amsterdam to face Ajax beckons on April 10.

Ronaldo hit with Uefa charge over celebration

Credit: PA

Cristiano Ronaldo has been fined 20,000 Euros (£17,700) by UEFA after his goal celebration in Juventus' Champions League win over Atletico Madrid, the governing body has announced.

During the match on March 12, the Portugal international was seen gesturing towards fans - mimicking Diego Simeone from the first leg after which the Atletico manager was fined £17,000 for an "obscene" celebration.

It came after Ronaldo had converted a late penalty for his hat-trick and a 3-0 victory which sent the Serie A side through on aggregate to the quarter-finals.

Ronaldo escaped suspension as UEFA announced the decision of its control, ethics and disciplinary body in a short statement on Thursday afternoon.

The forward was facing an improper conduct charge under Art. 11 (2) (b) and Art. 11 (2) (d) of the UEFA disciplinary regulations.

The UEFA statement read: "The CEDB has decided to fine the Juventus player Cristiano Ronaldo 20,000 Euros for his improper conduct."

Ronaldo will now be clear to play in next month's quarter-final tie against Dutch club Ajax.

Load more updates