Police in Kuwait have arrested five Islamic State suspects, including an 18-year-old man, planning to attack a Shiite mosque, in the final days of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
The man, a Kuwaiti, confessed to plotting the attack and had planned to deploy a suicide vest, the Interior Ministry said.
Police also detained a 52-year-old mother and her son accused of helping IS fighters in Syria, and two other Kuwaitis who possessed assault rifles and the black IS flag.
Islamic State has released an audio clip purporting to be a posthumous statement by a militant who killed 27 people in a suicide bombing attack on a Kuwait mosque on Friday.
The statement consisted largely of Koranic verses and was released on social media channels used by Islamic State, Reuters reported.
The speaker criticises Shi'ite Muslims and says they can expect revenge for what he terms insulting Islam.
Kuwaiti authorities have identified the bomber as Fahd Suliman Abdul-Muhsen al-Qabaa, a Saudi. Reuters was unable to immediately verify the authenticity of the statement.
Thousands of people have taken part in a mass funeral procession for those killed in a suicide bomb attack on a Kuwaiti mosque that killed 27 people.
Mourners from as far as eastern Saudi Arabia and Bahrain attended the funerals for those who died in the country's first terror attack in more than two decades.
Women ululated to praise those who had been killed during prayer and in the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, now in its second week, claiming they died as martyrs. They threw rose petals at the bodies, which were shrouded in the Kuwaiti flag.
Authorities have detained the driver of the vehicle that took a suicide bomber to a Shia mosque in Kuwait city.
Twenty seven people were killed in the attack, according to the governor of Kuwait City, when the bomber blew himself up in the packed Imam al-Sadeq Mosque during Friday prayers.
The interior ministry said the driver of the Japanese-made car, who left the mosque immediately after Friday's bombing, was an illegal resident called Abdul-Rahman Sabah Aidan, KUNA reported.
Crowds have gather outside the Imam Sadiq Mosque in Kuwait City this afternoon, in the wake of a devastating suicide bombing which killed at least 10 worshippers at Friday prayers.
The prime minister of Kuwait, Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, has said that the suicide bombing that killed at least 10 people at Friday prayers today is an attempt to threaten national unity.
"This incident targets our internal front, our national unity," Sheikh Jaber told Reuters after visiting the wounded at the Emiri hospital. "But this is too difficult for them and we are much stronger than that."
At least 10 people have been killed on an attack at a Shia mosque in Kuwait, according to the governor of Kuwait City.
A suicide bomber blew himself up in a packed Imam al-Sadeq Mosque during Friday prayers.
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to a statement they posted on social media. It claimed it targeted a "temple of the rejectionists" - a term it usually uses to refer to Shia Muslims, whom it regards as heretics.
Kuwaiti parliament member Khalil al-Salih said worshippers were kneeling in prayer when the bomb went off, destroying the walls and ceiling.
"It was obvious from the suicide bomber's body that he was young. He walked into the prayer hall during sujood (kneeling in prayer), he looked ...in his 20s, I saw him with my own eyes," he told Reuters by telephone.
A suicide bomber has blown himself up at a Shia mosque during Friday prayers in Kuwait City, according to reports.
"Eight casualties have been taken to the Emiri hospital, two in critical condition," Kuwaiti newspaper al-Jarida said on its Twitter feed, without giving a source.
The paper also said said the attack was at Imam al-Sadeq Mosque in the Sawaber district.