Live updates

Man City referred to Uefa's adjudicatory chamber following FFP probe

Uefa's club financial control body chief investigator has referred Manchester City to the adjudicatory chamber for breaches of financial fair play regulations Credit: Pa

Uefa's club financial control body chief investigator has referred Manchester City to the adjudicatory chamber for breaches of financial fair play regulations, Europe's governing body has announced.

City were fined £49million and hit with restrictions on transfer spending and their Champions League squad after FFP breaches were originally investigated in 2014, and Uefa began a new probe after further allegations about the same period were made in German publication Der Spiegel last year.

"The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) chief investigator, after having consulted with the other members of the independent investigatory chamber of the CFCB, has decided to refer Manchester City FC to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber following the conclusion of his investigation," said a Uefa statement.

"The CFCB investigatory chamber had opened an investigation into Manchester City FC on 7 March 2019 for potential breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations that were made public in various media outlets.

"Uefa will not be making any further comment on the matter until a decision is announced by the CFCB adjudicatory chamber."

Advertisement

Uefa investigators 'want Man City banned' from Champions League

Manchester City are Credit: pa

Manchester City are "fully co-operating in good faith" with Uefa's ongoing investigation into alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play regulations by the club.

The Premier League champions have, however, expressed concern about reports that investigators will push for a Champions League ban before any official statement has been made by the European governing body.

Uefa opened an investigation into alleged financial irregularities at the club earlier this year.

A statement from City read: "Manchester City FC is fully co-operating in good faith with the CFCB IC's (club financial control body investigatory chamber) ongoing investigation.

"In doing so the club is reliant on both the CFCB IC's independence and commitment to due process; and on Uefa's commitment of March 7 that it '...will make no further comment on the matter while the investigation is ongoing'.

"The New York Times report citing 'people familiar with the case' is therefore extremely concerning.

"The implications are that either Manchester City's good faith in the CFCB IC is misplaced or the CFCB IC process is being misrepresented by individuals intent on damaging the club's reputation and its commercial interests. Or both."

Mahrez determined to establish himself at Man City

Credit: PA

Riyad Mahrez vowed to establish himself at Manchester City after his crucial goal helped settle the title race in their favour.

Algeria international Mahrez, who won the Premier League with Leicester in 2016, became City's record signing last summer when he joined from the Foxes for £60milion.

The winger has started only 14 Premier League matches this season, but the last of those came at Brighton in Sunday's title decider.

And Mahrez responded to his surprise selection with the vital third goal, skilfully leaving Lewis Dunk on his backside before lashing the ball into the top corner.

He said: "It's not easy to come to a team, a squad, who won everything last season.

"But I'm very confident about myself and never doubt my quality. I knew when I had my chance I would take it. I scored, I helped the team, we played very good, and we deserved to win the league.

"I'm very happy here. It's not that because I don't play I'm going to go somewhere else. It's part of the game. I need to stay strong because it's part of my personality. I'm never going to go away from teams.

"That's easy to do but I'm very confident about my quality and there's another season next season. I know the league. I did a lot of things in this league already."

Yaya Toure denies he has retired from football

Yaya Toure has been without a club since leaving Manchester City. Credit: PA

Yaya Toure has insisted he has not yet retired, days after his agent said the former Ivory Coast international was ready to move into coaching.

Agent Dimitry Seluk used Twitter on Friday to say the ex-Manchester City midfielder had "ended his playing career" but the 35-year-old refuted that on Sunday after commentating on City's Premier League title triumph at Brighton.

"There has been a lot of confusion about my future recently," Toure wrote on Twitter.

"I want to make it clear here that I love football and I'm still in contention to play for a few more years.

"Yes, I'm starting to prepare myself for coaching badges but full-time coaching is not what I'm thinking right now."

Toure left City after eight seasons in 2018 and later signed for former club Olympiakos.

But he left the Greek side three months later and has not played since December last year.

"I am now ready and focused to take new challenges in playing football," Toure added.

"And don't worry once the time has come, I will announce my retirement personally and officially by myself."

Advertisement

Load more updates