Mark Cavendish has completed his long-expected move to the Bahrain-Merida team where he will be reunited with former coach Rod EllingworthRead the full story ›
Watch the best of the action from the Tour de Yorkshire live on ITV4 from the 2nd to the 5th of May.Read the full story ›
Mark Cavendish has signed a contract extension with Team Dimension Data which will see him become part of the team's new supervisory board.
The South African-based team had made clear earlier in the year their desire to keep the 30-time Tour de France stage winner, saying before the Tour in July that a deal had been "agreed in principle", but it proved a long wait for actual confirmation following speculation he would instead join Bahrain-Merida.
"After spending my last three years with Dimension Data I'm delighted to extend my contract, stay with the team that I love and people that I hold dearest to me in the sport," Cavendish said.
The delay in confirming Cavendish's contract coincided with another run of bad luck for the Manxman, who has struggled with injury and illness for much of the past two years, being diagnosed with the Epstein-Barr virus for a second time following a disappointing Tour in July.
The length of the 33-year-old's new deal was not announced, but it includes a new leadership role through which the team hope to maximise his experience.
Mark Cavendish has withdrawn from next week's London Six Day event after only recently returning to training following a six-week lay-off with Epstein-Barr virus.
The 33-year-old was in August diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus, commonly known as glandular fever, for a second time in 18 months, bringing a premature halt to his road season.
The 30-time Tour de France stage winner, a three-time Madison world champion on the track, returned to training earlier this week, but will not compete in the event, which is as much about entertainment as sport.
Cavendish wrote on Twitter: "Disappointed to say, after just 4 days training since recovering from my illness, I won't be riding @sixdaycycling London. Gutted. I'll be there supporting though. Always a great party."
Cavendish's future remains uncertain, as his contract with Team Dimension Data expires at the end of the calendar year and there is no news on who he will be riding for in 2019.
Cavendish has finished as London Six Day runner-up in the last two years - in 2016 with Sir Bradley Wiggins and in 2017 with Pete Kennaugh.
The Six Day event takes place at Lee Valley VeloPark, formerly known as the Olympic Velodrome, from October 23 to October 28.
Mark Cavendish will take an indefinite break from cycling after being diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus, commonly known as glandular feverRead the full story ›
Mark Cavendish will make his return to racing after injury at the Tour de Yorkshire next month.Read the full story ›
Mark Cavendish will return to race in Six Day London this October.
The 32-year-old former world champion has finished second in each of the past two editions, and has announced he will look to go one better at the Lee Valley VeloPark between October 23-28.
Cavendish teamed up with fellow Manxman Peter Kennaugh last year, narrowly missing out on the title to Australian pair Cameron Meyer and Callum Scotson in a season otherwise ruined by illness and injury.
He has struggled with injury again this year, confirming last week he would miss the upcoming Commonwealth Games after suffering a second fractured rib in a crash at Milan-Sanremo.
But he intends to keep his promise to return to Six Day London again - with the goal of becoming the first British winner of the event since Tony Gowland partnered with Belgian Patrick Sercu in 1972. The event was not held between 1980 and 2014.
"Any Six Day is hard graft," the 30-time Tour de France stage winner said.
"It's mentally and physically exhausting. The crowd are amazing in London and really keep you going throughout the six days so I wanted to come back again for them.
"I am definitely in it to win it and I will give my all to give the crowd a home win. It won't be easy though, there's always a really strong field in London."
Mark Cavendish, the 30-times Tour de France stage winner, has withdrawn from next month's Commonwealth Games following a crash at Milan-San Remo last weekend.
The 32-year-old was due to represent the Isle of Man on the Gold Coast, but after sustaining a broken rib and damaged ankle has adjusted his race schedule and will no longer be travelling to Australia.
Cavendish said: "Although it's ultimately positive news that there's been no serious damage sustained following the crash I am hugely disappointed to have to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games."
Mark Cavendish suffered a broken rib in the crash that ended his participation in Tirreno-Adriatico during the opening stageRead the full story ›
British rider Mark Cavendish suffered concussion and a whiplash injury following a crash which forced him to pull out of the Abu Dhabi Tour during the neutral zone on stage one.
The Manxman, who won the opening stage of last year's race, hit the deck shortly after setting off from Madinat Zayed.
The 32-year-old got back on his bike, but was forced to abandon soon after.
Cavendish's team Dimension Data confirmed in a post on their official Twitter feed that the British rider had fallen "on the same shoulder he broke last year" following a crash with Peter Sagan on stage four of the Tour de France.
A later medical update from team doctor Adrian Rotunno did not mention the shoulder and said there were no signs of a serious neck injury.
"Mark sustained a concussion and a whiplash injury after his crash today. Due to the concussion, we were not willing to risk rider safety and the call was made for Mark to stop the race," Rotunno said in a statement posted on their official website.
"A serious neck injury has been excluded in hospital. He currently has some concussive symptoms and neck pain, but is otherwise stable. We will monitor Mark's condition closely going forward."
Wednesday's crash happened ahead of the official start of the 189km opening stage between Madinat Zaya and Adnoc School.
Television replays showed the incident appeared to have been caused when the race director's car slowed down in front of the peloton, which resulted in a groups of riders behind having to brake sharply, with several then falling down.