Live updates

Report: Andy Coulson moved to open prison

Former Number 10 spokesman Andy Coulson has been moved to an open prison, according to journalist Neville Thurlbeck:

Thurlbeck was jailed for phone hacking with his former editor Coulson and three others at the Old Bailey on July 4. He served 37 days of his six month sentence.

News of the World reporter out of jail after 37 days

Former News of the World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck was sentenced to six months in prison in July. Credit: Reuters

Former News of the World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck has been released from prison after serving 37 days of his six month sentence.

Thurlbeck was jailed for phone hacking with his former editor Andy Coulson and three others at the Old Bailey on July 4.

But he confirmed he had been released in a post on his blog today.

He said: "Apologies for the late posting of this but as I'm sure many of you are aware, I've been unavoidably detained in south-east London for the past 37 days.

"And now, finally released and a stone lighter ( I highly recommend the Belmarsh Diet)."

Advertisement

CPS 'concluded no prosecution should take place' in Thurlbeck case

Having applied the full test set out in the code for crown prosecutors the CPS has concluded that no prosecution should take place.

Given that the journalist in question remains on bail for further offences, we do not intend to give any further information at this point.

Mr Thurlbeck remains on police bail on suspicion of offences under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

– Alison Levitt QC, the top legal adviser to the director of public prosecutions

Thurlbeck thanks supporters for 'unswerving loyalty'

Neville Thurlbeck, 50, faced the allegations after posting a blog on March 7, giving the home address of a member of former employer News Corporation's management and standards committee. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirmed he would not be charged with the counts. He said:

I am pleased that the CPS has advised the police that no further action should be taken with regard to an allegation concerning one of my blog postings on nevillethurlbeck.com.

I would like to thank my family, friends and colleagues in the industry for their unswerving loyalty, support and continued belief in me.

Advertisement

Profile: Neville Thurlbeck

  • Former Chief Reporter at News of the World
  • First arrested on April 5 2011 on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and unlawful interception of voicemail messages.
  • He was sacked from the newspaper in September 2011 and has since lodged a claim for unfair dismissal against News International.
  • Currently a theatre critic for the Surrey Comet and prolific blogger.